We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Hi guys,

I am traveling from Prague to Dresden on 27th May. I wish to start traveling in the early morning so that I can have at least a fair bit of time in Dresden before moving on to Berlin to stay for the night. (at my friend's place)

Question 1) How do you think i should go from Prague to Berlin? There are 5 of us and we are looking for the cheapest means. I have found a few, but are there cheaper ones?

1) Taking a train, www.bahn.de quotes 19 Euros per pax.

2) Taking a bus, Berlin Linen Bus quotes 26 Euros per pax

3) Taking a bus, student agency, but the timing do not fit my schedule

4) Taking a bus, Eurolines, but tickets are sold out for 5 pax.

Is choice Number 1(taking a train) the best way?

Question 2) How should I get to Berlin after my day tour in Dresden? By bus also?

1) Taking a train, www.bahn.de quotes 29 Euros per pax.

2) Taking a bus, Berlin Linen Bus quotes 18 Euros per pax

It is quite expensive still. Are there any cheaper alternatives for getting to both Dresden and Berlin?

Thank you very much.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

> It is quite expensive still. Are there any cheaper alternatives for getting to both Dresden and Berlin?

Not if you want to make this in one day inclusive sight seeing. For this the EC trains are the best option. And also the most scenic.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Berlin

Via: Dresden 08:00 stopover

You can also get specials if you plan a stopover in Dresden (here 8 hours).

E.g. at the moment you can still get

Praha Holesovice dep 08:40

Dresden Hbf arr 10:46

Dresden Hbf dep 19:04

Berlin Hbf arr 21:20

for EUR 195 for 5 persons (thus for EUR 39,00 per person).

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Sounds like a good plan. Its about the same as me taking the train from Prague to Dresden, and changing a bus from Dresden to Berlin.

However, which alternative is better? My friend stays at Lankwitz,Berlin. He will be picking us up from either the train station(if we take train) or the bus station(if we take bus).

Any tips?

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I am intending to book everything online by tonight.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Replace

To: Berlin

by

To: Berlin-Lankwitz

Keep the defaults, i.e. the first entry of any drop-down list coming up.

This won't change the price.

The first stop of the trains coming from Prague in Berlin is Berlin-Südkreuz. From there it's just 2 stations by S-Bahn to Lankwitz.

Berlin ZOB (the not really central central bus station) to Lankwitz adds another 35-50 minutes by public transport (plus 5 x EUR 2,10).

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Thank you very much. That helped a lot.

I am from Singapore, and I have purchased Eurail for Germany.

Thus, I was wondering if you know how that rail pass works?

Can I buy a ticket from Prague to Dresden, and use my rail pass from Dresden to Berlin?

Do I need to book it online if I'm taking this route?

Is it better for me to buy the tickets from the ticket office in Prague, instead of booking online? Could it be cheaper?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

> Can I buy a ticket from Prague to Dresden, and use my rail pass from Dresden to Berlin?

Yes.

> Do I need to book it online if I'm taking this route?

No.

> Is it better for me to buy the tickets from the ticket office in Prague, instead of booking online?

Best in this case (i.e. when traveling on the same day from Dresden to Berlin) will be to buy tickets from Prague to the Czech/German border. Thus also using your rail pass day also for the border to Dresden part. Not just for Dresden to Berlin. This is a ticket you can buy only at the ticket office in Prague, not online.

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

>>Best in this case (i.e. when traveling on the same day from Dresden to Berlin) will be to buy tickets from Prague to the Czech/German border. Thus also using your rail pass day also for the border to Dresden part. Not just for Dresden to Berlin. This is a ticket you can buy only at the ticket office in Prague, not online.

Hi, do you have any idea which stop is the stop that is at the border between Czech/German?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

There is no stop. This is just a tariff point to issue tickets to/from the border.

In this case it is called "Schöna(Gr)".

Gr = Grenze = German for border

As said before you can buy such at ticket only at the counter not online. Price Prague to Schöna(Gr) is approx. EUR 10.

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Hmm, I went to check the www.bahn.de

From Praha-Holesovice to Schöna - 19euros

and from

Dresden Hbf to Berlin Südkreuz - 29euros

The other locations with S-bahn will be free under my rail pass.

This way adds up to 48euros, which is more expensive than the initial plan to choose from Praha-Holesovice straight to Berlin-Lankwitz at 39euros

Did I make any mistakes anywhere?

Thank you so much for consistently helping me, I am having huge trouble trying to understand the rail system.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

> This way adds up to 48euros, which is more expensive than the initial plan to choose from Praha-Holesovice straight to Berlin-Lankwitz at 39euros

That's exactly why I suggested this one ticket option with a x hour stopover in Dresden.

> From Praha-Holesovice to Schöna - 19euros

You cannot buy tickets to Schöne(Gr) online.

You can even not query for it.

This tariff point is only available in the system used by the folks behind the counter.

Praha-Holesovice to Schöna station

is a connection where the international passenger tariff TCV applies.

Praha-Holesovice to Schöna(Gr)

is a domestic Czech connection where the CD tariff applies.

That's why there are these rather big differences in the ticket prices.

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help urgently, From Prague to Dresden to Berlin - Cheap

Ahh, thank you very much for shedding some light for me. I understand this travel route much better.

I think I will go with your initial suggestion to take the one way ticket on Bahn.

One last question, do you think it will be better to book the tickets online, or get it at the ticket office in Prague? Will the offer prices run out?