We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dresden worth the trip?

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Dresden worth the trip?

Hi,

I'm wondering whether Dresden is worth a visit. From what I've read it sounds great, but it's so far away from the other places I want to visit -Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Munich - so I imagine I'd have to spend a night there at least. I'll only be in Germany for about 2 weeks.

I'll be with a friend - mid to low 20s, love culture, good beer/red wine, rock music, medieval towns, architecture, xmas markets, etc etc.

Any advice would be tops!!! Thanks! :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

Dresden is worth a visit of course but then so are loads of towns in Germany. As you already realise it's a long way away from your other planned destinations; I'd say do another trip to a different part of Germany (like eastern Germany) some time and include Dresden then.

Actually Frankfurt isn't top on many sightseeing-in-Germany lists but it's certainly worth a visit.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

i have been to dresden a few times, and am really loving it. the old town is really beautiful. and if you like rock music etc, you will like the Neustadt, as it is a whole quarter packed with live clubs, rock bars, young culture shops etc, you will surely love it! you could consider to stay at the Mezcalero, whcih is located right at the Neustadt:

http://www.mezcalero.de/english/index.htm

have fun - tom

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

Thanks Tom :)

I think we might have to leave Dresden out... it's so far away! :( Next time!!

St Ives
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

It's most definitely worth the trip ! Please go if you get the chance. Fascinating and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9Imm47Xus

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

Definitely worth the visit; quite comfortable & fast trains from FRA.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

If I were you I would skip Frankfurt and Stuttgart, and instead visit Berlin and Dresden.

In that case you can make a nice tour of Germany, and see places in different areas.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

Not sure how you are getting to Germany, but another possibility is an Open Jaw Ticket (fly toMunich, back from Berlin or some other variation; usually almost the same fare.)...Munich, Berlin, Dresden, possibly Prague (just over 4 hrs from Dresden by train..)

8. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 11:55
Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

I agree with Ger_Holland: skip Frankfurt and Stuttgart and opt for Dresden.

10. Re: Is Dresden worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 07:17