We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresden to Budapest - plane or train?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
48 posts
193 reviews
Dresden to Budapest - plane or train?

I will be traveling with my daughter to Dresden, where she is starting a job in mid-April. After a few days there getting her settled, I will go to Budapest to visit my younger daughter.

Should I take a train or plane to Budapest?

All flights to Dresden seem to go through Munich or Frankfurt or Berlin, should we take a train from any of those cities to Dresden or book air travel all the way to Dresden?

I think we will book one way travel for the flight to Dresden, to stay flexible with my return to the US.

Any advice is appreciated!

Germany
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Dresden to Budapest - plane or train?

IMO very easy to answer: Train. I will go on a business trip to Budapest myself in mid March and checked all the options. The flights are very inconvenient and more expensive.

Train it is. There is a direct train in the morning which arrives at Budapest 6.31 pm. Fare is 39 Euro one way if you book in advance (Europa-Spezial).

Germany
Level Contributor
329 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Dresden to Budapest - plane or train?

Definitely train. As the previous poster pointed out, there is a direct train in the morning via Prague, about 9 hours. You will for sure want to reserve seats. I would also go first class - the closer you get to Budapest, the more people are coming through trying to sell you stuff, book you a hotel, etc. I wouldn't say it's unsafe but there will be less annoyance in 1st class. I would avoid the night train.

3. Re: Dresden to Budapest - plane or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Dresden