We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Dresden

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Dresden

Mr, Mrs,

I am planning a first trip to Dresden for next July and I would like to know if English is widely spoken or if it is going to be a problem, not speaking German ?

Also, if you have been there during the summer, is it usually very hot ? I will arrive in Dresden from Prague. From the train station, is it far from the center ?

Thank you,

Masaryk,

Canada

Germany
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Dresden

You won't hear much English spoken in Dresden, although the number of English speaking visitors is growing rapidly. The staff in hotels, restaurants, museums, bigger/high end shops and the tourism business in general speak English, but by far not all of the locals. You'll get around with English, no problem, trust me.

I live in Dresden and can tell you it can be hot or cool in July. Usually not really hot, though. If you want to be safe book accommodation with A/C or stay in one of the hotels/B&Bs in the green outskirts.

The train station is at the southern end of the city centre. Walking along the pedestrian zone Prager Strasse you'll be in the old town in about 15 minutes. Or take a tram.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Dresden

Thank you for your quick reply to my e-mail.

I have another question, if you have the time:

Because of diabetes, I have to plan a trip very carefully. In case of emergency, if I have to go to the hospital, do you think I would be able to find doctors who speak English or French ?

Thank you,

Masaryk

Germany
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Dresden

Doctors are fluent in English. This is no problem at all. But let's hope everything goes well ;-)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Dresden

Thanks again ! This is reassuring !

Masaryk

5. Re: First trip to Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Dresden