We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Days in Dresden?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
How Many Days in Dresden?

We're planning a trip in September to Berlin and Prague. We've read that Dresden is a great place to stop. We will have (probably) 10 days total for our trip. How many day(s) should we allocate to Dresden?

Would appreciate any suggestions on itinerary, train, hotels, sightseeing or any tips.

Thank you so much in advance.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

I'd say 4 nights Berlin, 3 nights Dresden, 3 nights Prague.

The train ride Berlin-Dresden is quick and easy. If you book about a month or two in advance (fix train) then you can get special price tickets for 19 Euro. Same for Dresden-Prague. See www.bahn.de

Hotels - what is your budget per night? Hotel, B&B type or rental apartment? Would you mind staying in a nice residential area (19th century) with easy, frequent and quick tram connection to the old town instead of staying right in the centre? That would save some money.

Sightseeing - what are you interested in? The museums could keep you busy for a week. www.skd.museum

Definitely do a trip on river on one of the paddle steamers. www.saechsische-dampfschifffahrt.de

A (half-) day trip to one of the picturesque small towns is a *must* IMO. Meissen, Pirna, Freiberg, Bautzen are options. If you spend a full day Pirna would be a perfect combination with the National Park Saxon Switzerland.

I better stop here. You will have limited time ...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Hotel - we've found for us that it makes sense to stay closer to the where the "action" is usually best for us so that we have maximum flexibility without having to worry about public transport (especially at night being 2 woman traveling alone). A more quiet street a block or two from the main sights is usually perfect for us. We tend to prefer smaller, boutique hotels with some atmosphere, especially if it "feels" like the surrounding area.

We understand that we usually have to pay a small premium for this but we're ok with that. So, as far as price, we would be willing to pay approx 150 Euro (around $200 US) a night. Internet service is a must at the hotel.

Sightseeing - we are really open here. We're not big party people or big to stay out really late. We tend to start our day fairly early with a nice breakfast, and turn in around 9pm after a nice dinner someplace. We are also not big shoppers but do enjoy going into small boutiques/art shops. We do enjoy museums, history, architecture, nature. I enjoy a nice long walk with lots of things to see along the way, stop for a coffee, etc. I also enjoy photography so places that I could exercise my camera would be wonderful.

We would enjoy a half day trip if we have time. I assume that we could train or bus tour to any of the cities you mentioned. If you had to pick one which would it be?

We understand that picking 3 cities is stretching it a bit thin for 10 days. We usually prefer spending more time in one place. But the trip to Berlin is to see friends. We thought we'd add Prague to the mix since its a pretty easy train ride. But then heard about Dresden. So now we have a 3 city itinerary!

Thanks again for all of your help. I went to Turkey last year and found that the tripadvisor forums were an incredible source of information. Better than any travel book for sue.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
23,258 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
3. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

I'd say 4 full days in Berlin (4 nights may not convert to that); there's so much to see in Berlin and a day in Potsdam really is a "must" too. Dresden and Prague are wonderful but are much smaller than Berlin so take less time to see the highlights. Pirna and Meissen are both lovely and easily reached by train, I think to get to Freiberg or Bautzen might be a bit more time-consuming.

Dresden's "Old Town" is mainly postwar (and much of it post-1990) reconstruction, whereas the Neustadt across the river is genuinely older builldings generally and the feel of an established neighbourhood.

I wanted to stay in that part of my town specifically on my last trip to Dresden and eagle recommended a hotel that was an easy walk to the Old Town (maybe that's the one he has in mind with his question?!). It was in a nice area with shops and restaurants not far away and was perfect for what I wanted www.hotel-martha-hospiz.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

It certainly "ticks the boxes" you mention in terms of being small, with some atmosphere and fitting its surroundings. BTW I went to the Semperoper and walked back to the hotel at night (on my own) no problem so the two of you would obviously be fine.

I was in Dresden after a visit to Prague (accompanying a schoolgroup). In Prague I stayed at the Bila Labut hotel which was in a good location, easy walk to Old Town Square etc, and near tram route to the castle and I would certainly recommend it …bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

I know it has had mixed reviews on TA and probably is more a 3-star than 4 but I think different countries have different interpretations of the "star system"; it's a good mid-range hotel (with very good breakfast).

On the train journey from Dresden to Prague sit on the left-hand side of the train (facing the engine) as that's where you get the better views of the River Elbe.

Edited: 06 February 2011, 18:06
Germany
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

Thanks for responding in detail to my questions - makes it much easier to advise.

This hotel should perfectly fit your criteria: www.martha-hospiz.de

Located in a relatively quiet, charming area in the so called New Town (which is not really 'new') but only a five minutes walk from one of the train stations (Dresden-Neustadt) and from tram stops. Friends of mine stayed there and liked it a lot. It *does* have atmosphere. Don't know if WiFi internet access is free - you better ask them. Double room should be not more than 120 Euro incl. breakfast buffet. (Btw, don't worry about 2 women traveling alone by night on the trams or buses - it's safe).

You'll have endless photo opportunities in Dresden (and in the other cities). The area where the Hotel Martha Hospiz is alone can keep you occupied for a couple of hours - nice small shops, art galleries, cafes etc. Head down to the river from where you have gorgeous views of the old town vis-a-vis. Tour the opera house (even better: attend a performance), see the Zwinger with the museums, the Royal Palace with museums (go up to the tower's viewing platform!), see the Catholic cathedral, the mural 'procession of princes', the church of Our Lady, walk along Brühl's terrace ... That will take a full day.

As I said before, do a steamboat trip (upstream from the old town is best) as far as Pillnitz Palace and gardens (Baroque, elements of Chinese style architecture) - more photo opps. Take the bus #63 back to Körnerplatz, maybe the suspension railway up for the scenic views. Definitely walk from Körnerplatz down to the river (cute houses, artisan's shops, cafes/restaurants). Walk across the bridge to Schillerplatz, take tram #12 back to the old town (and don't miss to take more photos of the villas along the way!).

A half day could be spent in Meissen. The commuter train S1 takes about 40 minutes to this town. See the old town, the castle, the cathedral. Try the wine. In case you're interested tour the porcelain manufacture. I wouldn't join an organised tour - it's really easy to do that on your own.

Ingo

Germany
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

Hi Lyn, was hoping you would see this thread :-) Great minds think along!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it.

Quick question - it looks like our train trip will occur on 10/3 which I understand is a holiday in Germany. Do you know if that will affect train travel? We'll be coming from Berlin to Dresden.

Thanks!

Germany
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

It will not affect train travel. Just keep in mind it is a holiday and grocery stores are closed. But there is one at train statin Dresden-Neustadt (Lidl) that is open.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

Hi there - Dresden is very compact and we stopped there only for a day. It was more than enough. There is plenty to see and do and lots of cobbly streets. Most of Dreden was destroyed after the second world war. It has now been almost completely restored. The main square has the main church - The Church of our lady (Dresdner Frauenkirche). and closeby you will come to the opera. Across the river is the Academy of fine arts. Another major sight is the Zwinger museum which has a very impressive dome. One of the most interesting sights, although I dont recall the exact place I saw it is of the Trummerfrau. This is a very large statue honours all the women between the ages of 15-50 who helped clear up the rubble after the second world war. Apparently at the end ot the war women in Germany outnumbered men by 7 million. It was one of those quirky things that I found just a little out of the ordinary.

have a great day

angie

www.angietravels.com

9. Re: How Many Days in Dresden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 23:18