We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Larnaca, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaca
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

During our 3 days visit in Dresden in July, we are thinking, or rather I am hoping, to have a couple of day trips. The options we have are the towns of Goerlitz, Meissen, Pirna ( and possibly a hike to Bastei). Since kids would opt for the Belantis Amusement Park ( its my sons birthday also during that period) so 1 day is booked for that, this leaves us with merely 2 days!!!. so it seems that we will only have one day trip. Any suggestions on which one to choose? We will have a rental car.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Bastei, without doubt. Goerlitz is very ordinary IMO.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Meissen is a pretty old (medieval ) town on a hillside crowned by castle and cathedral and makes for a nice drive from Dresden.

Görlitz isn't "very ordinary" at all in my opinion (sorry to differ BavariaJG!); I think it's quite stunning with the Renaissance and baroque buildings plus Jugendstil/art noueau (many buildings renovated with federal funds after Reunification). However not as easy to get to from Dresden.

Pirna is pretty too (although I would say not to compete with the oher two) and you could do Pirna and the Bastei in one day.

Edited: 07 June 2011, 13:16
Germany
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Will you actually spend some time in Dresden, too?

With kids the National Park Saxon Switzerland is always better than cities/towns. Bastei, yes. Fortress Königstein also. Or a hike in the Schrammsteine sandstone massif above Bad Schandau. Or the boat ride at "Obere Schleuse" near Hinterhermsdorf.

Görlitz ordinary? LOL

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Görlitz ordinary? Shall we laugh or cry about that statement?

Anyway: in margory's case I'd also suggest Saxon Switzerland combined with a stopover in Pirna, so you get to see some nature and one of the small historic towns. A walk through the old town plus coffee&cake can be done in two hours. Sure, Pirna is the least spectacular of the three towns mentioned, but it is on the way. A steamboat ride on the Elbe is also an option.

Listen to eagle when it comes to details. However, if anyone in your family is scared of heights, better mention that. (There is a little insider story between us concerning the Schrammsteine hike...)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Seems the Goerlitz tourism board has taken offense, but what's so great about the city? The fact that it has buildings of multiple architectural types? If that's your bag, then I guess it's worth half a day.

Larnaca, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaca
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Thank you all for your comments!

Didn't I mention that we plan to spend some time in Dresden as well?

To be honest, ( and although I understand that to appreciate the beauty some places have to offer, time should be endless), we have dedicated only 3 days in Dresden/ Saxony area. Provided that we plan to visit only one museum ( that's the New Green Vault, as we plan to visit, with the permission of the kids, quite a few of them in Berlin) , I consider that 1 and a some half day will be sufficient to get a taste of Dresden.

Based on your comments, and to satisfy husband who is a nature lover, I believe that we are lean towards Bastei and will skip Goerlitz ( although I love architecture and the charm that preserved towns have).

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

The fact that Görlitz has one of the best preserved and most authentic historical town centres in this whole country, for example.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

BavariaJG, if you'd like I can drop the Görlitz tourist board a note so they can come up with a response. Otherwise I'll just ignore your opinion on this town and move on, just like hundred thousands of visitors do.

Margory, you mentioned you'll have 3 days in Dresden, less one day for Belantis amusement park, and now you're asking for a day trip out of the city - so I thought that would be only 1 day left for the city. Green Vault is a good idea, btw, a museum that the kids might find interesting, too (at least in parts).

I second Blandine's suggestion of a paddle steamer trip. Can be done in the city Dresden also - old town to Pillnitz Palace and gardens e.g. And what about a mini train ride in the Grosser Garten? It is operated by kids and I think your kids would like it as well.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

Make sure to make a reservation at the Green Vault. I had no initial intention of going when I visited Dresden, and then after lunch I thought what the hell, let's see what the fuss is about. Since they only allow a certain amount of visitors at a time, they were completely sold out for the rest of the day by then.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Meissen, Pirna ( Bastei) or Goerlitz?

They say they want the NEW Green Vault, which does neither take nor need reservations...