We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and sights in Dresden

Stockholm
Level Contributor
755 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and sights in Dresden

I skippt Berlin this time for a late august trip to Dresden. A new destination for me.

I know much have been said about the city in this forum but love to hear up to date recommendations about things to do and see in the city.We are in our mid 30's and like doing excursions in a new destination.

Also. For me food is an important thing and I love german cousine. I would like some recommendation of one "authentic" restaurant. Are looking at Schillergarten but don't have a clue?

We like italian and french, any recommendations for that?

We will stay at the Hilton.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Schillergarten
Schillergarten
312 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Restaurant Stresa
££££, German, European, Central European
Genuss-Atelier
££££, German, European, Diner
Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
162 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

Regarding the sightseeing, could you specify your interests? Art, architecture, museums, city life?

Watzke is a decent authentic restaurant in the city center, next to the Golden Rider (Augustusbruecke). Another option is Freiberger Schankhaus at Frauenkirche. Schillergarten is also good, although I am usually daunted by the crowds that invade it on summer weekends.

Italian cuisine is abundant. I had good experience with La Osteria (behind the city hall) and will particularly recommend a small cafe hidden on the ground floor of Centrum-Galerie (Pragerstrasse). They serve delicious pasta. Perfect place for lunch (unfortunately, they are closed in the evening).

By the way, there is a good, if posh, ice cafe Venezia located across the Watzke. Not sure if they have genuine Italian ice cream, but their ice-cream-based desserts are mouth-watering and enormously large.

Mentioned in this post
Freiberger Schankhaus
Freiberger Schankhaus
352 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche
5,411 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Schillergarten
Schillergarten
312 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
La Osteria
La Osteria
248 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

Thumbs up for Schillergarten. Really authentic, very popular among locals and tourists - sitting outdoor on a mild summer night is fabulous.

Just a few steps away is Villa Marie, a superb Italian restaurant.

Across the river is Körnergarten, smaller than Schillergarten but serves equally good regional food.

Definitely check out Waldschlösschen microbrewery where you can get authentic local food also.

As for Italian - my favourite is La Casina Rosa in the Neustadt district, Alaunstraße. I've had mixed experiences in August, though, as the regular staff is away on vacation back home in Italy then. Agree on La Osteria, it's pretty good.

Don't know about French cuisine in Dresden ... but may I recommend two other restaurants that serve excellent international cuisine? Villandry in the Neustadt district and Schmidt's in Hellerau. The latter highly recommended for lunch (less expensive then).

You may also want to check out my Dresden page on Virtualtourist.com:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/1091e/

Mentioned in this post
Schillergarten
Schillergarten
312 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
La Casina
La Casina
999 Reviews
Viareggio, Italy
Neustadt
Neustadt
452 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Italy
Italy
Europe
La Osteria
La Osteria
248 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Villandry
Villandry
198 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

From personal experience I confirm that Eagle's recommendations have always been spot on, and not ordering the same food as he did always turned out a mistake.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
755 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

Wow, great suggestions of restaurants! i am a foodlover so restaurants are very important during our trips!

About my interests.. yes, I do like going to some museums but are more interested in city walks, visiting nice cafees and biergartens.

Thanks again for your quick answers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

Thanks Eagle...this information is useful :)

6. Re: Restaurants and sights in Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:34