We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

I'll be visiting Dresden this summer for three days with my wife and three daughters (6,9,12).

If we spent one of those days visiting Saxon Switzerland what would be an appropriate "family friendly" itinerary for the other two. I'm open to just about anything (art/science/history museums, parks, tourist sites, tours, shopping etc.).

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Strolling through the old town is a *must*, your daughters may like it or not. Frauenkirche, the mural 'Procession of Princes', Catholic cathedral, Zwinger grounds, a walk along Brühl's terrace (there's a street vendor selling excellent Mövenpick ice-cream there :-)) Maybe climbing one of the towers would be fun for the family - Royal Palace's Hausmann tower, the Frauenkirche's dome would be my favourites, the town hall's tower is the highest. Out of the world-class museums your daughters would probably enjoy the New Green Vault most - jewellery, funny figures etc.!

For boys I'd recommend a trip with the paddle steamer or the steam train, but will your daughters be interested? Maybe go to Grosser Garten, Dresden's largest city park, with some attractions like a mini-train, zoo, small lake where you can rent rowing boats. For bad weather, the Hygiene museum has a Children Museum department with interactive exhibits that keeps kids busy for a while.

I am sure there's plenty more but that's what came to my mind right away.

Mentioned in this post
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,860 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,061 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Sounds good. Thanks for the ideas!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Don't forget the VW plant. It's amazing. Even my wife loved it. Right in central Dresden and close to the Hygiene Museum and with an excellent cafe. Did someone already mention Neustadt actoss the river?

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Neustadt
Neustadt
452 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
825 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

How about a Trabi safari?

…trabi-safari.de/opencms/…index.html

Germany
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

I didn't mention the VW plant because I don't think the three daughters would enjoy it. But I could be wrong, of course.

Personally I would not enjoy the Trabi Safari, but I am biased since my family owned one for quite a number of years. Also, you cannot squeeze the whole family into ONE car, so you have to split up and book two - not so nice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Good point about the ages of the girls. But it IS cool and you get to walk around and see people working on shiny cars. It is close to a park and has reflecting pools inside and out. The tour is probably about an hour. You are up on balconies looking down and you get a great view of the towers of the city not far away. The tour guides come from the hospitality trade - not car wonks - so they are informative and entertaining.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

Unfortunately, the VW plant idea isn't going to fly... I had previously asked them about the BMW tour in Munich and got a resounding no. A good idea for boys though. Eagle pretty much hit the nail on the head with the Trabi Safari idea. Sounds like fun for a couple. Not so much for a family.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

The Dresden old city highlights are all easily seen on foot, we had a tour of Semper Opera house, wandered through the Zwinger, we had tickets for the Green Vault treasury, visited the Frauenkirche, all easily done in a day.

There are palaces along the river, I think hunting and summer palaces, that are probably accessible by boat (a friend drove us, so I can't be sure). We also went to a fortress which was very interesting, not in Dresden, but on a rather spectacular rocky outcrop with the river down below (again, maybe accessible by boat ?).

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,061 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche
5,416 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
9. Re: Suggestions for 3 day family stay in and around Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:42