We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way from Krakow Poland to Dresden Germany?

Level Contributor
648 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way from Krakow Poland to Dresden Germany?

Hi,

I will be visiting London in September and plan on taking a budget flight to Krakow from London for about a week.

I am looking for another interesting city to visit from Krakow before returning to London. I have already visited Budapest, Prague, and Vienna, which are in the neighbourhood, so to speak.

I am considering Dresden and look forward to any advice / suggestions you can give me as to whether this is a good idea and if so, what is the cheapest way to get from Krakow to Dresden.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way from Krakow Poland to Dresden Germany?

Normal train ticket from Krakow Glowny to Zgorzelec is PLN 86 (~ EUR 20,80) using a TLK train from Krakow to Wroclaw and a RE train from there. Can be bought on spot in Krakow.

From Zgorzelec to Dresden Hbf you can use a Sachsen Ticket (Saxony Ticket) which is EUR 21,00. You can buy this ticket any time online as long you have a printer to print it. You need however a trick (dummy connection) to buy it.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Leipzig Hbf

Start: Dresden Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport". Choose a travel time past 9am and buy the Sachsen-Ticket for EUR 21. For this (day) ticket only the date is of importance. Not the connection - neither route wise (from-to) nor time wise).

There are no direct flights between Krakow and Dresden.

www.germanwings.com via Stuttgart (not daily) ~ from EUR 110

www.airberlin.com to Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) and from there on a Rail&Fly ticket to Dresden ~ from EUR 115

airberlin.com/site/…

Dresden Tourism

http://www.dresden.de/dtg/en/index.php

Saxony Switzerland

saechsische-schweiz.de/start/click.system…

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia Province, Poland
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Saxony
Saxony
Germany
Leipzig
Leipzig
Saxony, Germany
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Level Contributor
648 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way from Krakow Poland to Dresden Germany?

Thanks a lot for your very helpful post, abalada, with the detailed information, links, and neat tip.

I remember you helped me a lot with train questions and other ones I posted when I was planning my trip to Munich, Vienna and Salzburg a couple of years ago. I did a lot of day trips from Munich and you gave me a lot of useful tips and great advice. Thanks, once again abalada.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
3. Re: Cheapest way from Krakow Poland to Dresden Germany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 10:27