We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresden and Albrechtsburg

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Dresden and Albrechtsburg

I am planning a Christmas visit to Dresden with my family. (hubby, girls 11, 17 and parents 68). With help from people here I have some excellent ideas for Dresden. At the moment we have three days for the following.

Semperoper (at least a tour, maybe an opera if possible)

Frauenkirche (the building that made my father want to go to Europe)

Zwinger and museums

Green Vault - old and new

Christmas Markets- especially Mittlealter Weihnacht

Day trip to Moritzburg with steam train (now having seen Three Hazelnuts for Cinderella)

Could we fit in a trip to Albrechtsburg and Meißen in three days or should we add another day to our Dresden stay? Is it easy to get to with public transport.

I don't want to run my parents ragged (this is a five week trip to Europe) and we are using public transport (like backpackers- cheaper days means more time in Europe).

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche
5,412 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Europe
Europe
World
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,856 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,060 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dresden and Albrechtsburg

Regarding the Christmas markets - the Mittelalter (medieval) themed one is not my favourite. I personally find the Striezelmarkt at Altmarkt square and the 1900 themed around Frauenkirche much nicer. But to each their own :-)

Yes, I would think you can squeeze in Meissen if you don't overdo it with the museums in Dresden. (And you have 3 full days, right?) It's sort of a half day trip - either start early or about noon, after having visited a museum in Dresden.

The commuter train S1 runs between Dresden and Meissen, takes about 40 minutes and trains run twice an hour. I think you're best off with two family day tickets (each is 15 Euro) for the whole VVO (regional transport network) region. One for you, hubby and the girls, the other for your parents.

Mentioned in this post
Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche
5,412 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dresden and Albrechtsburg

Btw, these family day tickets are of course also good on trams and buses within Dresden - so a very good deal. On the other hand, if you plan to visit many museums you might look into the Dresden Card, the version that includes public transport and some museums in the region also.

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dresden and Albrechtsburg

Thanks.

We were in Dresden for Christmas 2010 ( the fact that we loved it so much is why we are returning with parents in toe) and will visit the main Christmas market but I love all things medieval and would love to see it.

We have three full days but we do tend to linger in museums. Would more than 2 hours be seen as 'overdoing' it?

Does the Dreaden card have any 'must see' museums that I haven't considered. (we're more into art, history, craftsmanship, architecture).

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Dresden Christmas Market
Dresden Christmas Market
129 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dresden and Albrechtsburg

If you love things medieval then I'd HIGHLY recommend to visit fortress Königstein which has a very (medieval) athmospheric Christmas market - on Advent weekends only, though. And it's in the Saxon Switzerland region, not near Meissen. This would call for adding another day to your stay ini Dresden :-) You will still miss the Erzgebirge region, right? That's the most charming Christmas region in Germany.

For me, I'd not want to see more than 2 museums per day, and 2 hours is quite the right time. It's totally up to you, of course.

The Dresden Card would give you free access to the State Art Collections except for the Historic Green Vault (e.g. New Green Vault, Picture Gallery Old Masters, Albertinum, Porcelain Collection, Folk Art Museum - which is highly recommended in Advent season), free travel on regional trains, bus, tram, reductions for the steam train to Moritzburg, (rather small) reductions on admission fees for castle Moritzburg, Albrechtsburg, fortress Königstein e.g. The family regional card for 3 days is 68 Euro, a good deal for you, hubby and the kids, not exactly sure for the parents - but might pay off for them also. You can purchase them at the airport or train station, validate them from the first full day on (fill in the date).

Mentioned in this post
Dresden Christmas Market
Dresden Christmas Market
129 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,060 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Albertinum
Albertinum
302 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
5. Re: Dresden and Albrechtsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:38