We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holliday to Zwinger

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Holliday to Zwinger

Hello!

I ll be staying in Dresden for 1 day in August the 12th(Monday).Is Zwinger open or the green Vault and how can I go from Holiday Inn in Dr Kuelz Ring to either by bus or tram?I have a bad knee so I can't walk far.

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

Hi Lianaharala!

here's the link to the Dresden transport website...

I did the journey from the Holiday Innn express to the zwinger... scroll down to view the journey details & you can click on the pdf and view the map for each step of the journey

dvb.de/en/…

you can also do this with the green vault, but from the zwinger to the green vault is only 0.3 miles... very close.

Hope this helps!

Yesi

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

The Zwinger is closed on Mondays. The Green Vault(s) in the Royal Palace are open.

The Holiday Inn (not Express) is about 4 km north from the old town, opposite side of the river. You walk one block along Stauffenbergallee to Königsbrücker Straße (about 300 m). From there take tram #8 (runs every 10 minutes) to Theaterplatz - about 20 minutes, I'd say. The tram stop is right in front of the Royal Palace. If you cannot walk far you should probably buy a day ticket for public transportation. Ticket machine is right at the tram stop, for fares see the website given above.

Mentioned in this post
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,716 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
1,984 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Theaterplatz
Theaterplatz
272 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

Thank you both although I think eagle 2002 talks about an other Holiday Inn and not the one I' m staying in.

Just one more question.Does the Green vault contain exhibits which could interest a young teenager(our 14 years old daughter)? or a walk in the Old Town would be enough for her in our free afternoon?Any goods ideas for a nicer visit for her also?

Thank you

Liana

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

Depends on the teenager, how open-minded, educated and interested she is. It would have interested me at that age.

However: The most fascinating pieces are not in the historical Green Vault (the reconstruction of the original collection halls) but in the New Green Vault, the museum presentation on the upper floor. Up there you have pieces like the cherry seed with 185 carved faces, the model court of the Indian Grand Moghul, and many more treasures and craftworks with the most elaborate details that you can look at from close vicinity in perfect lighting. Another advantage: This part does not require prebooking tickets and observing tight time slots as the historical Green Vault does, you just walk up to the cash desk, buy your ticket and in you go. Also you don't have to bother with an audioguide, which is needed in the Historical Green Vault because there are no written explanations, and which can become tedious. I'd pick the New Green Vault.

Just to clarify: The Zwinger museums are closed on Mondays. The inner courtyard and the roof terraces of the Zwinger buildings can be entered for free any day, they only close at night.

Mentioned in this post
Green Vault
Green Vault
1,984 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,716 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

There's a Holiday Inn and there's a Holiday Inn Express. Looks like you refered to the latter. From there it's tram 8 or 9 to Theaterplatz - just two stops.

Mentioned in this post
Theaterplatz
Theaterplatz
272 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
6. Re: Holliday to Zwinger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 07:17