We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany's Beautiful Castles

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Germany's Beautiful Castles

i will be taking a train from Prague to Berlin and was thinking about a stop in Dresden for a night. I've always heard Germany has many beautiful castles -- are their any for me to see between those 2 cities?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

Within easy day trip distance from Dresden:

Meißen, Albrechtsburg

Moritzburg palace

Königstein fortress

Weesenstein

Better stop for two nights not one so you have time to see a bit of Dresden, too.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,655 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

Palaces, castles and gardens in Saxony

http://www.schloesserland-sachsen.de/en/home/

This page lists only the state (Saxony) owned and most important ones. There are a "few" more. Not necessarily all beautiful.

maps.google.com/maps…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

Another excellent source of castles and palaces throughout Germany arranged by German state:

http://schenckguide.com/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

We visited Moritzburg, Meissen's Albrechtsburg and the Koenigstein fortress.

We just loved Meissen's old town, the walk up to the castle, the history of porcelain and the exhibits, the castle itself (photos allowed), cathedral, enjoying a beer overlooking the rooftops, wonderful atmosphere, architecture, history. A great day trip.

Moritzburg palace was a hunting lodge (no photos allowed). Quite small. Massive displays of antlers. It sits on a little 'island', quite picturesque.

The fortress is substantial, and set high above the Elbe river (I think), very pretty location.

If you had to choose, my preference would be a full day in Dresden and a full day in Meissen.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

If you only have one night in Dresden (which is a shame) you better concentrate on those VERY close to the city centre. If you're looking for a chateau/palace with gardens, pick Pillnitz. If you're looking for something more medieval looking, you need to go to Weesenstein or Meißen.

Getting to fortress Königstein by public transportation is a bit inconvenient and time consuming. You'll see it from the train coming from Prague - shortly behind Bad Schandau, when the river makes a bend left you'll see it from the right side of the train, high above the valley.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

thanks everyone! Berlin was our ultimate stop while in Germany but after I saw pictures of Dresden, I knew I had to make a stop - even if for 1 day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

Know what you mean, it's all very well to do your research but then you find a million other things to do and see..... :)

8. Re: Germany's Beautiful Castles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Dresden