We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report to Dresden

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report to Dresden

We visited Dresden during Christmas time with our family of 4 boys. Flew in to Prague for a few days then caught the train to Dresden. Took but a few hours so not bad at all.

We stayed at an Ibis. Our plans were make last min and I had a hard time finding a hotel close to the Altstadt. It was cheap and close so we took the chance. It was fine for a few nites, Ikea like so very minimal . Located in the mall. Close to several bakery's for breakfast, which was nice.

Our first day was spent just walking around enjoying all the great architecture and Christmas markets. Truly lovely. The Alstadt is small enough to enjoy without getting lost. The Christmas markets were as wonderful as I imagined. The decorations of the stalls were amazing. The food was very good. We ate our way thru. We realized how special the markets were after visiting Prague's and Vienna's. The food had more variety here, we even had flaming hot wine, Yum!!

The next day we got up and took the chance and headed to the Green Vault, before it opened. Pure luck was with us, we got tickets. So if you don't pre-order ,give getting there before it opens a try and see if you still can't get some. Very much worth a visit as all the sites suggest. Amazing!

After we ate at the market and check out the church,Frauenkirche . Beautiful! The boys walked up to the top and took awesome pictures.

We ate at Kutscherschanke for dinner. Its a fun pub for German dishes and good beer. We stopped several times for beers. We loved the atmosphere .

We walked around after and came out at the beginning of the bridge area, near the Procession of the Princes .A piano player was playing. It felt like a dream. The building, soft lights , classic music. It took our breath away.

The next day we took a tour of the Opera,Semperoper . That was fun. Decided to head across the bridge to check out the dairy in the guide books. Pfunds Molkerei .It was beautiful, very small but nice.

After took a tram to see the Volkswagen factory. Kids love cars. It was pretty interesting.

The afternoon we enjoyed Residenzschloss. 3 floors with much to see. We wished we had more time for the museum . So much to see.

Just enjoyed the markets that night.

The next day was the Zwinger. Sadly, I didn't check the open hours. An over site of a last min planned trip. We were able to enjoy walking around the top, and got some great pictures. To me it meant I must come back for sure to see the inside.

That was our biggest regret , not making sure open hours for sites as it was Christmas week.

We had a train to catch that afternoon to Prague. We had wished we had maybe 2 days more in Dresden, 1 for sure. I would have loved to take some day trips.

The city was lovely,the Kasematten , Balcony of Europe was a beautiful walk.

We felt there was much more to see in this clean city, full of nice people.

Can't wait to one day return.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
898 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report to Dresden

Nice report, thank you.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report to Dresden

Glad you enjoyed your time in Dresden. I missed the snow during the Christmas markets this year, though. Next time you have to explore some markets outside the city centre :-)

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report to Dresden

Thanks all , I have already started a list of things missed there and outside markets is on it ;)

I loved Dresden!!

4. Re: Trip Report to Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 07:17