We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresden History

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, BC
3 posts
Save Topic
Dresden History

My husband and I will be travelling to Dresden in May. Has has a great interest in war history. Can anyone suggest what to see?

Thank you

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dresden History

I didn't see much war history in my 3 days there. Probably they want to forget. But I know there's a museum there. You should write the tourist bureau and I'm sure they can direct you on the right path.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dresden History

Have a look at

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C3%A4rhistorisches…

www.mgfa.de/html/museen_dresden_2005.php

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dresden History

…wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6nigstein_Fortress

http://www.festung-koenigstein.de/museum/en/

Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dresden History

If you are interested in history of Dresden , primarily during World War 2, you may want to read "Dresden" , by Frederick Taylor published by Harper Collins, 2004. That can give you background on things to see in Dresden , in addition to the world class museums they have there.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dresden History

The Stadtmuseum (city museum) has a large exhibit on the city's history and WWII is of course covered.

www.stmd.de (no English version I think, sorry)

There is an information centre (Besucherzentrum) for the reconstruction of the Frauenkirche (located Kulturpalast/corner Altmarkt square) where you can see a video and small exhibit about destruction of the church in the bombing and reconstruction of the church.

What I find very interesting is the small exhibit in the tower of the Royal Palace where you can see pictures of the old town after the bombing and also read (German) reports/letters of survivors.

Highly recommended (not exactly war, but Nazi related) is the temporary exhibit in the Hygiene Museum:

Deadly Medicine

Creating the Master Race

AN EXHIBITION BY THE UNITED STATES HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM

UNTIL JUNE 24, 2007

www.dhmd.de

(in English, too)

About German Military History in general:

Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr,

Main building in reconstruction at the moment, but there is a temporary exhibit in a large hall. Located in the North of Dresden, Olbrichtplatz, free

One comment on a previous post: no, we do not want to forget. We are reminded of what happened every day just by walking around and watching the buildings, the largest and most impressive one the Frauenkirche as a symbol of reconcilation. With 13th Feb approaching rapidly we attend commemoration events, talk with survivors etc.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dresden History

Dresden was largely uninvolved in WWII until it was fire bombed late in the war, though it was largely considered a non-military target. It was the Germany equivalent of the atom bombs over Japan in the minds of some. To others it was response to the fire bombing of London and other English cities.

If you want a fictionalized, irreverent version, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five". He was there during the fire bombing. BTW, he wanted to name the book something like " The Children's Crusade".

Regards, Gary

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dresden History

> I didn't see much war history in my 3 days there. Probably they want to forget.

Focus is in Germany rather on museums/memorial sites about the 3rd Reich as such. With WWII as a result. But less so about WWII as such. The traces of WWII are pretty obvious in all larger German cities. Even a few rebuilt buildings won't change the fact that the historical old Dresden is gone forever. And for this you just have to basically step out of your door.

And museums about wars are something for the winners. Like the German-Russian Museum in Berlin-Karlshorst. Which was set up by the Russians. The German in the name is only since 1990.

museum-karlshorst.de/html/…index.shtml

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dresden History

I read Dresden was a big train depot and the German troops were trying to escape the US and British and run to the east when the bombing occurred.

Of course, it was a big propaganda effort made to claim that the only reason for the bombing was to kill civilians.

I personally believe it was a way to send a message to the civilians that the war was going down, like the A-bombs in Japan.

Having said all that, it's a beautiful city and as an American, I felt welcome everywhere I visited in both Berlin and Dresden.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dresden History

Dresden was firebombed and leveled in Feb 1945. Würzburg underwent similar treatment in Mar 1945. VE day was in May 1945. It is hard to say whether the firebombing of German cities hastened the end of the war. Würzburg discusses the issue on its website:

wuerzburg.de/system/…2497.html

The atom bomb was dropped in Aug 1945 and it is generally thought that it foreshortened the war, leading to VJ day in Sept 1945.

I am not an indifferent 3rd party. I was born in July 1945 while my Father, then a young marine corp corporal, was serving on Iwo Jima as part of the march towards the main islands of Japan. The atom bomb might have meant having two parents to raise me.

Thankfully, my Father did NOT bring the war and it prejudices home with him. He and my Mother were even later able to enjoy a visit to us while I was serving in Würzburg.

Sometimes, I regret that American knowledge of German history is often confined to WWII and the Third Reich.

Regards, Gary

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dresden History

>I personally believe it was a way to send a message to the civilians that the war was going down, like the A-bombs in Japan.

When Dresden was bombed the Russian troops stood maybe 150 km to the east. There was no space for the German army to "flee to the east". I think both the firebombing of Dresden and the A-bombs on Japan were not so much the closing shots of the WW2 as the opening shots of the Cold War.

Get answers to your questions about Dresden