We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weimar, Erfurt, Eisenach for a Weekend???

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Topic
Weimar, Erfurt, Eisenach for a Weekend???

Hi everyone!

My friends and I are planning a trip to Weimar, Erfurt, and Eisenach for a weekend (getting to Weimar at about 3 pm on Friday, and leaving from Eisenach back to Berlin at about 4 pm Sunday). Is there enough to do during this time period? We're planning on visiting all the main sights in Weimar and Erfurt, as well as Buchenwald (near Weimar) and Wartburg Castle in Eisenach. However, I'm now concerned that there isn't enough to do that will last us for a weekend...any suggestions or advice? Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Weimar
Weimar
Thuringia, Germany
Erfurt
Erfurt
Thuringia, Germany
Eisenach
Eisenach
Thuringia, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Buchenwald Memorial
Buchenwald Memorial
434 Reviews
Weimar, Germany
Wartburg Castle
Wartburg Castle
969 Reviews
Eisenach, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weimar, Erfurt, Eisenach for a Weekend???

Read a bit about these three cities and the surrounding region and you will soon find out that there is enough to do to fill several weeks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weimar, Erfurt, Eisenach for a Weekend???

There is plenty to do in this area, enough easily to last you a week which we did last year substituting Gotha (with its excellent large early Baroque palace and lack of tourists) for Erfurt in your plans. Be aware that the Anna Amalia Library in Weimar probably will require advance reservations unless you are there first thing in the morning when it opens as visitor numbers are limited.

So it's not a matter of having enough to see and do, but choosing between a lot of good alternatives for your short visit. Personally, I enjoyed staying in the old town area of Weimar, lots of excellent restaurant choices of all types.

Mentioned in this post
Weimar
Weimar
Thuringia, Germany
3. Re: Weimar, Erfurt, Eisenach for a Weekend???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Weimar
More Weimar Topics