We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weimar or Erfurt

victoria, b.c.
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weimar or Erfurt

Pretty simple question. We have four nights. Should we spend 4 in Weimar, 4 in Erfurt or 2 in each.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

Since the one cane reached from the other in 20 minutes by train, it simply does not matter. I would not change hotels midway, though.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

I've been in both, and did change hotels, 2 nights in Erfurt, one night in Weimar (but 2 would have been better). I was going on to Berlin ultimately and moved on to Weimar around lunchtime (so going back and forth to Erfurt would have been inconvenient)

Germany
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

I was not very impressed with Weimar. Too much Goethe and Schiller for my taste ;-) If you're not planning some evening activity there (like attending a performance at the Nationaltheater) I'd say you better spend four nights in Erfurt.

Germany
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

4 nights in Weimar seems like overkill. I would tend toward Erfurt as a base and go on day trips.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

A few years ago we spent three nights in Weimar and did not run out of things to see and do. What I particularly liked was that as an American living in Germany, there was a nice selection of German and very good non-German restaurants within a few blocks of our hotel. If you're into German culture such as Goethe, Schiller and Wieland, it's the place to be. The Anna Amalia library is excellent, just make reservations ahead of time unless you're there early as there is limited entry.

6. Re: Weimar or Erfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Weimar
More Weimar Topics