We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power converters

8 posts
Power converters

Do we need to bring power converters? We have iphones, possible an iPad, a macbook, and go-pro

5 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
443 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Power converters

Not sure origin country. Most USB connectors just need a plug adapter. Most laptops have a converter built in to the cord. Again, just a plug converter.

8 posts
2. Re: Power converters

Coming from the United States.Thank you

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,228 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Power converters

You only need a power (voltage) converter if bringing electrical goods that heat up, e.g. hair-dryer, hair-straighteners, iron (other than dual voltage). Electronic goods such as phone chargers, camera chargers, merely need a plug adaptor.

You can check this out with manufacturers' websites directly, as your question concerns YOUR appliances, rather than Spain (cf https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/question/answers/iphone/do-i-need-a-power-converter-to-charge-my-iphone-while-traveling-in-europe-to-convert-voltage-from-220-to110volts-or-do-i-just-use-these-plug-adapters/QU74C22U9FK9FCP2P)

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,381 posts
3,815 reviews
4. Re: Power converters

Most good hotels have hair dryers in their bathrooms.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,875 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Power converters

For modern mobile electronics, your original chargers should convert the voltage worldwide. You just need the adapter as qaminari mentioned. If you want to be sure, look on the charger and it should say something like 100 to 240V, 50-60Hz.

If you want to charge multiple phones and tablets, I suggest you invest in a multi-port USB charger. They should cost only a few US$. I have a 4-port one so I just bring one charger and a plug adapter for USB devices. Cameras and laptops are still likely to require their own charger (and additional adapters).

Reply to: Power converters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted