We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

Hello!

I'll be in Spain for nearly two weeks this June and need help planning the first few days of my itinerary. I get into Heathrow early Wednesday morning, and I start staying/working at a farm (through WWOOF) in Granada Friday evening. I'll be staying there for about 10 days, then have the last two days to explore Granada, before flying out of Granada.

A couple options:

1. Fly into Madrid, getting there Wednesday late morning. Explore Madrid all day, then Thursday day trip to Toledo (or day trip to Salamanca?) Then Friday take the bus down to Córdoba and stay for four or five hours. Then finish bus to Granada.

2. Fly into Malaga, getting there Wed early evening. Hang out in Malaga for half the day on Thursday, then day trip to Antequera. Then bus from Malaga (or Antequera, if I decide to stay there) to Nerja, have some seafood and check out the caves, then finish the trip to Granada.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Antequera
Antequera
Costa del Sol, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
5 replies to this topic
Community of...
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

It sounds very rushed to me. Too many places for two days.

Regarding option 1, I don't think your plan for friday is doable. Also just half a day for Madrid is not enough.

I would go straight to Andalucía. So option 2 sounds better, check distances and time travelling to be sure it is doable...

Another option is going to Sevilla, spend there half Wednesday and all thursday, then friday go to Granada (stopping in Antequera if you have time)

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
411 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Antequera
Antequera
Costa del Sol, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

Thanks for the feedback!

For option 1, I'm not actually going to spend much time in Madrid- I'm only considering flying in there because I have family and a free place to stay. And I've been to Sevilla but never Toledo or Cordoba, so I thought those places would be cool to see. Given that, do you still suggest going straight to Andalucía? It will be more expensive with the train tickets and finding accommodation. I'm leaning towards Madrid just so I can see my aunt... if I go to Madrid, should I just see Madrid the whole time instead of going to Toledo? In that case I'd have nearly two full days.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
411 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Community of...
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

In that case you can do option 1, but rethink the plans for friday. Going to Córdoba by bus takes 5 hours, and you wanted to see the city and be on time in Granada. You have two options, going by 'Ave' train which takes 2 hours, or skip it.

What time do you need to be at Granada? Going there from Madrid takes 4 hours, —2hours and a half by ave to Antequera, and the rest of the journey by bus from Antequera— (the bus is provided by renfe since the train connection to Granada is under construction).

Depending on the time you need to be in Granada, you could spend the morning in Madrid or go straight to Granada.

Toledo is very recommendable, so the plan would be:

Wednesday Madrid

Thursday Toledo

Friday: Madrid/Granada (or just travelling to Granada).

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Madrid
Madrid
Antequera
Antequera
Costa del Sol, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
68,074 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

Salamanca is too far from Madrid for a day trip. You need at least 2 days there.

For Granada:

For Alhambra Tickets (Book early- at least 3 months in advance):

https:/…

If you are too late in buying tickets for the date you want, you can try calling your hotel and ask them to buy tickets for you, since the Alhambra allocates tickets to hotels for their clients. If this fails, you can buy the Granada Card for 40 euros, which includes a ticket for the Alhambra.

Downtown Granada is Calle Reyes Catolicos. Use Booking.com to screen hotels and apartments in the Granada City Center. A good hotel downtown with parking is the Vincci Albayzin. Shopping streets are Calle Reyes Catolicos, Calle Zacatin, and Calle Recogidas. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department Store at Carrera de la Virgen, 20. The Alcaiceria is beside the Cathedral and has many shops.

Good restaurant: Restaurante Chikito (Plaza del Campillo, 9; Tel: 958-223-364) - A gastronomic restaurant that has won many prizes for its food. Reservations are a must.

Mentioned in this post
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Granada
Granada
Alhambra
Alhambra
1,578 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
The Alhambra
The Alhambra
34,724 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Reyes Catolicos
Reyes Catolicos
220 Reviews
Salamanca, Spain
Vincci Albayzin
Vincci Albayzin
1,182 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Hotel Ingles
Hotel Ingles
402 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Alcaiceria
Alcaiceria
240 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Chikito
Chikito
758 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
2,742 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Madrid vs. Malaga itinerary

Just been to Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla, Malaga. They are very different and beautiful in their own way.

However, Madrid is Madrid and worth visiting, so much to do!

You can do a day trip to Segovia by train. The Alcazar is fabulous and the history unique.

You could also do a day trip to El Escorial.

Or Toledo, of course. For Toledo go ready to walk up and down hilly streets in very bad heat.

Segovia is much nicer in summer.

Salamanca is too 'far' to do in one day.

Enjoy Granada! Dont miss visiting the Sacromonte and Curro Albayzin house museum for a quick tour of the history of flamenco. The views from el mirador there, towards Alahambra are amazing.

Nor the sweet wines or eggplant and honey 😍

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
411 Reviews
Seville, Spain