We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Questions! Spain with a Sprain!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Last Minute Questions! Spain with a Sprain!

After a year (50+ years!) of planning this trip to Spain, I need some last minute help so all goes as smoothly as possible.

Unfortunately, I fell down some concrete steps and ended up with a Grade 3 sprain in my right foot and ankle a couple weeks ago. But I am NOT deterred! Spain--here I come!

Our itinerary:

Madrid 4 nights (day trip to Segovia, tickets to all 3 major art museums)

Toledo 2 nights (staying at Parador)

Sevilla 4 nights (day trips to Cordoba and Jerez de la Frontera)

Ronda 2 nights (rental car picking up in Sevilla, dropping off in Granada)

Granada 2 nights (Alhambra tickets)

It's me, hubbie, and 14 year old grandson. I want to see and do as much as we can while still having enough time to just wander, eat at outdoor tapas bars/restaurants/cafes and 'watch the world go by.'

Problem is that with my severe ankle sprain I'm going to be somewhat limited to the amount of walking I can do.

Here's my specific questions:

Madrid--We're staying very near Retiro Park. I'm assuming it has benches so wandering through it at leisure will be fine?

I know the Art Museums will be fine as there are usually a lot of benches to sit on to "contemplate the art."

Doable for me to stroll the Castle Gardens? Think the castle itself would be too much walking for me.

Segovia day trip: I understand that the train station is right across from our hotel (Petit Palace Savoy Alfonso XII.) But should we take the train to Segovia and then catch a bus there OR just take a bus straight to Segovia. If the latter, where do we catch it and is it a short walking distance from our hotel? Or, if not, what public transportation should we take that would NOT involve a lot of walking for me??

Toledo: We are staying at the Parador there. I know it is NOT walking distance to the town itself. We probably won't arrive until about 6pm. Should we just plan on checking in, eating onsite, and relaxing at the Parador for that first night? The next day we plan on going with our originally-planned tour. I'm assuming the tour guide we've arranged (private 3 hours) will be able to accommodate my needs? What is the best way to go back and forth between the Parador and the town/city of Toledo?

Sevilla: Do you suggest going to an olive-oil tasting tour within the city or taking a tour outside of the city in the countryside?

Ronda: what would be good for us to do for the 2 nights/3 days we are there that wouldn't involve a lot of walking? Certainly driving around the Pueblos Blancos but any specific things in the city itself that I'd be able to do? (I can walk about 2 hours before being in pain and 'hitting a wall.')

Granada: have tickets for the Alhambra. We can walk around the Generalife gardens on our own (not timed with the Alhambra entry tickets, correct?) We are staying at El Ladron de Agua. Is the Alhambra and Albayzin walkable from there or will we need to use public transporation? Is public transportation easily accessible from our hotel?

Thank you for all and any help you can give.

If I don't get answers from posting this on the general Spain forum, I'll probably need to repost it on the specific city forums but I hate to 'clutter' the forum too much. Please advise.

Thank you!

1 reply
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,451 posts
3,815 reviews
1. Re: Last Minute Questions! Spain with a Sprain!

Eden:

Madrid has no castle, just a Royal Palace.

For Segovia, the trains leave from the Chamartin Station. From the train station in Segovia, there are buses that will bring you downtown to the Roman Aqueduct. A good restaurant near the Aqueduct is Meson de Candido.

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

I would relax at the Parador in Toledo the first night. You can have the Parador call a taxi for you the next day to see downtown Toledo.

For Seville, I do not recommend any olive oil outing. See the monuments instead.

For Seville:

Seville is one of the cities in Spain with the most charm. A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

For Ronda:

Hemingway said that Ronda was the most romantic town in Spain. Orson Welles loved Ronda so much that he asked to be buried there. The views in this town are unforgettable. This is the most important and most beautiful white town in Andalusia.

Things to See:

1. New Bridge

2. Mondragon Palace

3. Church of Santa Maria La Mayor

4. Alameda del Tajo Park - Has great views of the countryside.

5. Carrera Espinel shopping street (also called Calle La Bola).

The Parador is a very good hotel beside the New Bridge and has marvelous views and a large parking garage. A good restaurant is Restaurante Doña Pepa at Plaza del Socorro, 10.

Good restaurant in Granada: Restaurante Chikito (Plaza del Campillo, 9; Tel: 958-223-364) - A gastronomic restaurant that has won many prizes for its food. Reservations are a must.

Reply to: Last Minute Questions! Spain with a Sprain!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted