We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

I'm planning a 2 week driving trip in early March next year. Love to see beautiful sceneries and historical monuments. need advice on what to see and how to get there. Can I cover these 2 countries, and southern France too? What is weather like for this part of the year? If it is too cold, I might defer to May. Many thanks.

Casa Batllo
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Speciality Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Seville Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Lookouts
Casa Mila "La Pedrera"
Architectural Buildings, Monuments & Statues, Speciality Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Palacio de la Aljaferia
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues
Barcelona
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

No, you won't be able to cover all parts of these countries but you will be able to visit enough of them to get a flavour of each. It will involve a lot of driving and you need to be careful that you don't spend all your time in the car. One suggestion and Im sure others will have many ideas is:

Lisbon, Sevilla, Granada, Valencia, Barcelona, Perpignan.

I presume you will fly and pick up a hire car with a one way drop. Use the above places for 2 nights at a time as bases, and explore the surrounding areas. They are all a days drive apart.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

Sorry forgot the weather.

Don't know about Lisbon but I think cold.

Sevilla mild but not sunbathing, Granada the same, Valencia cooler, Barcelona cold, Perpignan cold. Sometimes all of these places can be hot in March during mid day hours but nights def. cold. may would be amuch nwarmer time to visit.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

Lisbon is a beautiful city. Look for my trip report of Lisbon on that forum.

I think that if you spend most of your time in Andalusia, you will enjoy it and see traditional Spain and enjoy meeting friendly people.

You can see Seville, Granada (see the Alhambra), Cordoba, and Malaga. Malaga has the best climate at that time. In Malaga you can visit the famous white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, which are the most charming towns of Spain. From Seville, you could go to Malaga and stay in a place like Torremolinos and make it your base. From there you can go to Granada and Cordoba on day trips. The Andalusian cities of Ubeda and Baeza are wonderful Renaissance cities and are jewels.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

I forgot to mention the beautiful cities of Cadiz and Jerez de la Frontera. I have written recent trip reports of those cities in their respective forums.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

2 weeks to se France Spain and Portugal could prove a bit hectic.

You do not say where you are landing and flying out nether do you give us a clue on how you plan to travel.

Please let us know the answers and maybe we can help further.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

Spain is a big country (one of the largest in Europe) and if you add Portugal and southern France it's too much for 2 weeks.

Weather in early March on the coast cd be quite warm during the day but cool at night. Granada is near Sierra Nevada mountains so won't be as warm as the coast. Madrid is also colder (high plains). Lisbon has a damp climate, similar to Barcelona.

May would be warmer though this year it's been wet.

You need to pick up and drop off the car in the same country otherwise very high additional international drop-off charge. You cd visit Perpignan from Barcelona if you still want to cross into France. Portugal from Andalucia too.

England
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

Hi there

I think you are pushing it doing all three countries -have you considered just doing Spain and Portugal? My Mum gets the ferry to Santander or Bilbao and spends a few days driving down to the South East of Spain . We have a villa in Los alcazares in the Murcia region and she has a few days there before driving West to Portugal and then back up to the ferry. She says the scenery is very varied along the route - a real mix of terrains. I don't know about the other places but I have been to Los Alcazares several times in March and the weather has been surprisingly good - cool in the evenings, but sunny in the days. We have bikes at the villa and it is perfect cycling and walking weather. Enjoy your trip - if you get to Los Alcazares and need somewhere to stay let me know!

8. Re: 2 weeks for Spain and Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 21:17