We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

We will be arriving in Barcelona and leaving from Amsterdam 12 nights later. My plan so far is 3 nights in Barcelona, fly to and spend 3 nights in Lisbon, fly to and spend 3 nights in Marrakech and then fly to and spend 3 nights in and leave from Amsterdam. Is this a crazy itinerary? Should I leave Marrakech for another trip and spend the other three nights somewhere else in Spain - maybe Funchal and then from Funchal to Amsterdam? Help, please.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Please help. I know someone out there knows all the info that I need. Is this too much to try to do?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

I don't know why you want to just go to four major

cities...in different parts of Europe and Africa. I would try to focus on two counties (Netherlands and ???) at the most...and preferably only one.

With this itinerary you lost one day to time-change and jet lag, then another day Barcelona-Lisbon (airports), another day (Lisbon-Marrakech) and then

antoher (Marrakech-Amsterdam) so you have lost 4 days to travel. You really have only 8 days to see the sights, smell the roses, drink the wine, etc. so

to chop them up like this?! Well, I am not a travel porfessional and some who post are so they would know more exactly the problems here, but I hope you haven't made all these reservations yet.

I would choose one country (Spain) and see more of that and maybe stick in two or three days in Amsterdam in the end. I would try to take some

day trips to smaller cities or the beach to get more

of a flavor of the country.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Definitely you are trying to see too much, and the places are not related at all. All your memories will be confused.

I would just spend all the time in Spain because there is much to see. Leave the other countries for some other time.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Thanks for your help. I had a feeling I was trying to do too much. Do you think we should base ourselves in Barcelona and go from there or move around Spain and stay for like 3 or 4 days in two places in Spain? Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

I agree with others here. Maybe it's difficult to imagine if you have never been to Spain (or Portugal, or Morocco for that matter)

After 12 days, non-stop (I do not mean a relaxing vacation, that would be a different option) you will realize you have just scratched the surface of, let's say, a 1/4 part of the country...

Apart that, as say above, it does not sound logical to loose 4 days of a short vacation just traveling to very distant places, when there are equally interesting places much closer

Where to go will depend on your interests. Spain is very diverse, and the North, the Central part and the South are more different that if they were separate countries. If you are interested in Barcelona, you may easily spend there 4-5 nights just to get an overview and maybe doing a couple of day trips.

You can focus in the North part of Spain, and travel from Barcelona to Zaragoza, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander... (better if you like smaller cities, amazing food and green landscapes)

Or go South to Valencia and later Madrid (better if you like big cities, art, etc)

Or forget about Barcelona and focus in the South of Spain (Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, "pueblos blancos") if you prefer the most "typical and topical" Spain (what has been more exported as the country's image) Beautiful indeed

Each one of these 3 options do have more than enough to fill 12 days, and you will still be missing interesting and different parts of the country

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Thanks, Belsaita, for your response. We do love Amsterdam which is why we are flying out of there -so we can visit there again and have never been to Spain, Portugal or Morocco which is why I tried to fit all of these into one trip. I agree this is too much to do so I will follow your needed advice. We do not like big cities but love good food, the seaside, fishing and just touristing around. How should we plan to get around Spain? Train or plane? We do not want to rent a car. We do want a relaxing vacation but we are not the type to just sit. We are not into discos or nightlife but are sooooo looking forward to sipping a glass of wine in an outdoor cafe or on our terrace. There are flights leaving from all over Spain and Portugal to Amsterdam including Valencia, Mallorca, etc. so we can end up in any of those. Thanks for your help. It is quite overwhelming planning a vacation until you have the basics in hand. Appreciate everyones ideas.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

first, you should decide where you really want to go

as you "do not like big cities but love good food, the seaside, fishing and just touristing around", I think the "green Spain" (the first route in my answer above) may suit you better (and if makes me wonder why your first plan was visiting only 4 big cities! LOL)

look at www.spain.info or other resources for what really appeals to YOU. Once you decide where you want to go, will be time to look for transportation, not before! ;)

I'd use planes only for long distances (Amsterdam to somewhere in Spain, route by train/buses and plane back to Amsterdam). IMO you'll get more of your vacation time if you explore a smaller area in depth traveling by bus or train. At least, you'll see the country trough the windows, but airports and planes are equal everywhere!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Info on "green Spain":

http://maribelsguides.com/mg_pais_vasco.pdf

www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

Thanks so much for your replies. I know I sound crazy because, yes, they are four major cities but we planned on visiting surrounding areas and just using those as hubs and the flights we were looking at were short. We fly into Barcelona and out of Amsterdam. Taking your advice, we will concentrate on the "green" area of Spain. Any other advice you can give is more than appreciated. Thanks.

10. Re: Itinerary help - Are we trying to do tooooo much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 02:18