We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Madrid first week of June stay couple of days there, and then drive to Barcelona and finally take a cruise from there. I would like to know how many days I need to plan for Madrid/Barcelona and if there are any interesting cities to visit on our way to Barcelona? Should I rent a car and drive to Barcelona or take the train?

Pls keep in mind that I don't like to spend more than half day at a museum. I enjoy architecture and scenery the most.

Any suggestions for an economical/clean hotel for Madrid/Barcelona are appreciated.

I have 7 days to spare b/w Madrid and Barcelona.

Thanks,

Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Wahoo! Spain! I spent three months just outside of Madrid last year on a study abroad and traveled throughout the country every weekend (and a few full weeks too).

First off, traveling from Madrid to Barcelona:

I don't know how you feel about driving in Europe, but keep in mind that it's a little crazy--alot of stop and go/tiny streets with daredevil drivers. Just if you DO go with the car rental...

If you're traveling with friends, a train ride could be fun--but also long and sleepless.

I traveled between there by air. Ryanair has pretty cheap airfare between the two cities, and here's the plus--it's like an hour long flight, rather that a 10 hour train ride, so you get more time in the city and you don't have to worry about sleeping on a train (which is also more expensive anyways). My friends and I traveled there in 2 groups; one by train, and the other by plane. Plane is the way to go :)

Okay, Days in each city...Madrid is like New York, and Barcelona is like LA. Both are fun/diverse, but different in atmosphere. Barcelona is MUCH more touristy (and im assuming more so in June) than Madrid.

Barcelona: Beach, Gaudi stuff (especially the park and Sagrada Familia!), Picasso Museum, Opera House (must see!), seafood, Clubbing, Experience a language different than Spanish, Beach...

Madrid: Bull fighting (if you're into that--it's hard to stomach), Flamenco, Clubbing, Shopping (higher class stuff than in Barcelona=$$$), Puerta del Sol (group of streets for shopping), El Prado museum (El Greco, Las Meninas), Palacio Real...

So depending on what you like...I'd personally divide up my time equally. The architecture is amazing in both, but more "Awe Inspiring" in Barcelona because of Gaudi...Scenery is definitly better in Barcelona (remember, NYC vs. LA)

Also, If you DO drive, some cool towns along the way (or slightly out of the way) are Alcala De Henares (they're Don Quixote crazy! the town that I lived in), Cuenca (hanging houses), Valle de Los Caidos (built by the dictator Franco--so kind of creepy, but still worth seeing)...

As for hotels, I'm not really sure on that one, but you can find really reliable sources here on tripadvisor.

Hope that helps!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Besides not wanting to spend much time in museums, there is a lot more to do and experience in Madrid and Barcelona, but instead of driving, I highly recommend taking the AVE, unless you want to stop off in Zaragoza for the night. 7 days isn't a whole lot of time.

I would spend the first 4 nights in Madrid, then take the AVE to Barcelona for the next 3 nights before departing on your cruise.

You should download Maribel's Guides to Madrid and Barcelona to see what you can do, as well as check out her hotel recommendations (maribelsguides.com).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Thanks you soo much for all your replies, The reason we were thinking of driving was to visit the cities on our way to Barcelona from Madrid ( if any) but if you say that driving is a bit tricky there we may fly or take the AVE.

Thanks again :)

richmond hill
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

We am planning to spend a week in Spain before we will fly to Canary island for another week , and I am just wondering if it is worth to rent a car and to drive around Barcelona, Valencia and Seville. We enjoy seeing people, streets, beaches, nature, see, lakes, etc. Also we will like to see special touristic attractions in those cities.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Cars are a hassle in those cities. The only reason to have a car is to see out of the way spots on the northern coast or in Andalucia.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,243 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Artaa:

I would spend 4 days in Madrid and 3 in Barcelona.

Please read Buying Renfe Tickets Online in TA to see if you can get a discount.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

Thanks BennyMalaga for your helpful post re: buying tickets online:)

I checked their website for travel date of March 26th ( as on example)from Barcelona to Madrid and it looks like the price for the Esterlla is cheaper than the web price.

I thought with the web price you get 60% discount while with the Esterlla you only get 40% discount?

Thanks,

8. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2009, 14:30
9. Re: How many days for Madrid/Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:22