We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

We are Canadians planning on flying into Barcelona at the end of June and driving down to Alicante to visit friends. We are hoping to rent a car and do some sight seeing on the way. Can anyone suggest places we must see. We are hoping to find some historic Spanish towns and scenic places.

Elaine

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

Welcome to the Trip Advisor forum Elaine!

I have just returned from a fantastic visit to Valencia. There is so much to see and do. For further information have a look at my trip report on the following link which contains lots of suggestions and links to my web album which contains photographs of the beautiful city.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187529-i499-k31…

Happy planning, let us know what you decide.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

for History, Tarragona is good and on route, an hour and a bit south of Barcelona, there are Roman ruins and some photographic squares and lanes, slightly inland from Tarragona, there is Gandesa and Corbera, the history here relates to the Civil War.

Down the coast there is the delts ebro, flat marshlands and bird sanctuary. Peniscola is also worth a visit, again, coastal and where the film El Cid was filmed.

If you have a lot of time between Barcelona and Alicante, the monastrey of Montserrat is well worth a visit, but only if you have a day to spare.

Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

Thanks Welshtraveller, Valencia certainly looks like a place we must put on our itinerary, your photos are amazing!

Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

Thanks for the great suggestions. I've been thinking we should check out the monastery at Montserrat, the setting looks fabulous. Do you know if it would be best to drive there or take the train?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

Elaine:

The easy way to go to Montserrat is to take a bus tour that you can book at your hotel in Barcelona.

A very beautiful city near Alicante is Benidorm, one of the tourist centers of Spain.

When you are in Alicante, be sure to visit the city of Elche. The palm grove there is very beautiful.

6. Re: Things to see between Barcelona and Alicante

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 06:16