We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Topic
Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Spain and are looking for help with itineraries, must see places, restaurant and lodging recommendations. We'll be there for about 7 days arriving sometime around 3/31 or 4/1. We assume we should fly in and out of Madrid and we hear that we should definitely spend sometime in Sevilla. We'd love to have any and all thoughts on what we should do? Frommer's or Fodor's says we should do day trips out of Madrid but my wife would like to explore and stay outside of Madrid. Personally, I'm looking for a wide variety of recommendations so we can decide exactly what we want to do. We're big fans of exploring and eating good food and we're willing to rent a car if that makes the most sense.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona Sagrada Familia and Museum...
3,012 Reviews
from US$49.10*
Spain, Andorra, and France 1-Day Tour...
1,072 Reviews
from US$162.30*
Barcelona Best of Tour with Sagrada...
1,676 Reviews
from US$112.00*
Special Offer
Granada, Skip-the-Line Alhambra...
621 Reviews
from US$144.90*
US$181.20
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

For 7 days I would stay in Madrid and do some day trips. If not you will loose days in travelling and not seeing anything.

If you are coming this year you are coming during Easter time prices of hotels is a bit higher and they, like the trains will get booked up early.

Read through the following website to get some ideas about Spain.

http://www.spain.info/

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

KLS402,

'about 7 days' is not a lot of time, take out time for from and to the airport and coping with likely jet lag.

If arriving at Madrid navigate/jump to Madrid forum and read Things To Do l.h.s. the page and day trips r.h.s.

A hire car will be a burden in any city and trying to park in unfamiliar destinations, unless you wish to see the campo. Much can be accomplished by public transport.

If you come up with an itinerary, post it to be 'shot at', you should learn far more.

Best wishes.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 09:02
Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

You can spend 4 days in Madrid and 3 in Seville, for a completely different flavor.

Read the Things to Do section of each city.

In Madrid, do day trips to Toledo and Segovia.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

KLS, I hope you don't mind my piggybacking on your question here, but we're wondering some of the same things and would love to hear ideas and suggestions as well.

We're trying to decide about our fall vacation now (September or October, dates are flexible right now), and Spain is on our short list. It would be our first time there, so we'd like to see as much as possible. We're fortunate enough that we should be able to go for 2 weeks (13-15 days, depending on flight schedules). Does that seem like a reasonable time to see more of the country?

Also, I don't know if you've looked into flights yet. You probably have more options from DC, but I found from Toronto that the only place we can fly direct is Barcelona, so we would likely fly in there to start our trip instead of Madrid. I was quite surprised at how infrequent and indirect the options to Madrid were from here! Even with Barcelona, it appears the direct flight doesn't run every day, so we will have to be careful about choosing our dates.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

lligett

You should choose what you like to see and do, confirm your airports and method of travel.

Once you have got some basic as we can help you get to see the ins and outs of Spain. But I do not feel anyone can give you good answers on the few sketchy ideas you have at the moment.

I would strongly recommend you read through the linked website I gave above and purchase a good guidebook too.

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

A friend of mine said he spent a few days in Madrid with a day trip to Segovia by high speed train to see the aqueducts; a day trip to Toledo via train; and a few days in Seville. I imagine we'd take the red eye from the US east coast and then explore Madrid the next day while we acclimate to new time zone. We'd end up in Madrid again before we fly out. How does this look for a rough itinerary?

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

I was really hoping for answers to a few general questions at this point, like:

1) Is 14 days long enough to see a lot of the country and not be rushed? It's possible this will be our only trip to Spain, so we would like to see as much as we can and get a feel for the different regional cultures within the country.

2) Are there any must do or must see cities/regions?

3) Is late September/early October generally a good time of year as far as weather, crowds, things being open, etc.

Of course, once we decide on a trip we will research more thoroughly. At this point we're just trying to decide if Spain is a good choice for this particular trip based on our time window.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

KLS402,

Your 'rough itinerary' is not too rough for 7 days.

This is a month away! Fine tune the transport to maximise your 'site seeing' when you drop this 'about 7 days' and ask here if anything puzzles.

Best wishes.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

lligett,

1. Yes and no. There are a fair number of 'Spains'.

2. What is your vision of Spain? Andalucia is many peoples' vision - an area bigger than many countries in Europe, contrasting scenery, origination of flamenco, bullfighting, Moorish architecture, cathedrals, castles, tapas, sun most of the time.

3. Yes. If the 'site' is of any consequence and very visited it remains open year round, but maybe not Mondays.

With respect, it is not good idea to piggyback on someone else's post, there is enough for us to refamiliarise with above as it is, without two threads running.

Best wishes.

Edited: 02 March 2010, 13:21
Mentioned in this post
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for an itinerary for a 1st trip to Spain

lligett

Some of the answers to your questions are given in the Spain.info website I suggested reading.

1) The answer depends on your style of vacation. It you want to see ALL of the must sees and dos then 14 days is not long enough.

2) If you want to see the classic flamenco, tapas and bullfighting then the must see area is Andalusia, but if you want something different then a bit a research on your behalf is necessary. Then you will find something that ticks all of your boxes.

A question that is generally impossible to answer. The country is something like 500.000sqkm so weather can vary depending on where you go. Another influence is the weather is totally unpredictable. It is said that the further south you go the better the weather, but in Autumn the south can get it fair share of rain too. There should be less crowds at this time of year then say August. Most things are open all year but you may find that a few museums closed for renovations or change exhibits etc.

This is getting confusing with 2 posters asking questions!