We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain versus Croatia

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Spain versus Croatia

I realize this is an odd question. My family is either going to Croatia in late June or Spain. Does anyone know what is the better value? We usually go to nice restaurants and stay at 4 star hotels. Many thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,660 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain versus Croatia

Oliverlevitt:

I have not been to Croatia, but a Spanish friend just came back from that place. She told me that Spain is much more developed. So you will have better luck with good hotels and restaurants in Spain.

You would be amazed at how many beautiful 4 star hotels there are in Spain, that are brand new or are historic and have been modernized. I travel a lot in Spain and always stay at 4 and 5 star hotels.

And of course the food in Spain is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. About 30% of our tourists come to Spain mainly for the food. You have to discover tapas, one of Spain's greatest inventions!

Come to Andalusia, the most colorful part of Spain. See our white towns like Ronda and Mijas. You will fall in love with them. People in Andalusia are the most friendly and simpatico. See our monuments like the Alhambra and the Mezquita in Cordoba. They come from our Moorish past and are unbeatable in beauty.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain versus Croatia

The food might be better in Spain.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain versus Croatia

Yes, I would think Spain would have better food and wine than Croatia. Croatia would have more interesting beers however.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain versus Croatia

I hadn't realised food was such an important part of this question (phrased slightly differently on Croatia forum)! More fish and shellfish on the menu in Spain than Croatia I would think, Spaniards eat nearly as much fish as the Japanese statistically. From what I've been reading about Croatian cuisine they are very keen on meat, although I'm sure they eat fish too.

Most of the Spanish costas are very "developed" so I suppose it depends on what you want (Costa Brava and Costa de la Luz have fewer "resorts" full of hotels than Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol though) . Croatia also has 4-star hotels, old and new. In fact the Istrian coast esp.Opatija area was a major beach destination in Austro-Hungarian times and has the architecture from then, and there are other special places like Sveti Stefan in Dalmatia. But beaches there are not sandy as the ones in Spain generally are. The part of Istria opposite Venice was Italian till after the Second World War and is very pretty, and trendy (and not cheap!).

Have you looked at your flight options? Maybe that would help you choose between the two countries. I really think you'd enjoy both; friends from here (Barcelona) have visited Croatia and loved it. We are planning to go this summer , we visited Slovenia briefly (incl.their tiny bit of Istria) in 2005 and said then we'd go back andinto Croatia. I visited Istria in 1980 and we went as far as Plitvice Lakes, which is a breathtaking national park inland, as well as exploring the coast.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 09:29
5. Re: Spain versus Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 05:16