We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranquil beaches in Spain

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Tranquil beaches in Spain

Hi

My wife and i would like to spend 2 weeks in Spain in Mid Oct.

We are looking for a nice beach with a great atmosphere , not very crowded , without hotels but with guesthouses next to the water , tiny local restaurants and great people and tourists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nir

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Barcelona
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Madrid
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Barcelona Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
BrightSide
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,450 posts
3,723 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Nir:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a guesthouse? That term is not used in Spain at all. What is the difference between a guesthouse and a hotel?

england
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

hi benny think along the lines of a large/small house which has had its bedrooms converted for guest use.they may only have 1 or 2 guest rooms,maybe ensuit or have a shared bathroom,with less facilities than a hotel.they usually just offer breakfast.also refered to as B& B's( bed&breakfast) over here.hope that helps.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Not necessarily.

Guesthouse might be a small inexpensive hotel-like lodging , usually family owned.

We are just looking for something simple and nice with backpacking atmosphere close to the beach.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

These would generally be described as 'hostals' in Spain, which is the cover-all description for somewhere which doesn't quite make it into the hotel standards. It can mean 'hostel' (eg in the big cities, with shared rooms), but is also used to describe b&bs, guesthouses, tiny hotels, etc.

Will you have access to a car, use public transport, or will you spend the full two weeks in one small place? How close do you need to be to an airport for transfers (and also, the closer to the airport, the more touristy it is likely to be).

The place which came instantly to mind when I read your description is Cascais in Portugal (about 30 mins outside Lisbon). Small town, lots of independent small shops - tourist, antiques, nice restaurants, marina, small 'cosy' beaches. Might be worth a look if you don't need to be in Spain.

In Spain - I haven't been anywhere which 100% matches your description. Consider Chipiona (likely to be quite dead by October), Cadiz - city (so no local feel) but not touristy or overdeveloped. If it were in the summer, then juts outside La Coruna is Sada which would also be ideal, but the weather up there is more unpredictable, particularly by October. I'm sure there are Spanish towns, but from your post I really think Cascais is worth a look.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Thanks!

We plan to trek the camino de santiago and then we are looking for a nice beach in Sapin/Portugal with a preference to the northen part.

So to your question , we will use local transportation.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Here in Spain the equivalent to a guesthouse or B&B is a Casa Rural. They are usually located (as the name implies) in a more rural location.

Smaller Hotels, in Spain, can also be run on a family basis too, but usually you have less contact with the owner than say in a Casa Rural.

Mid October in Northern Spain is not usually considered laying on the beach weather. Taking a stroll will be ok, most of the time.

What part of the Camino are you looking doing?

Could you expand on your plans a bit more too? Like where do you fly in and out of Spain- do you want to beach before or after the Camino- etc etc.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Is this the sort of accommodation you are looking for

www.bedandbreakfast.com/spain.html

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

Maybe that B&B site is not so useful it only has 4 listed for Galicia; 2 in Asturias and 9 in Cantabria. The official websites for tourism covering these areas give a lot more. I will post some better ideas when The OP comes back with some details.

9. Re: Tranquil beaches in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 00:18