We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Hi everyone -

We are planning a late May trip to Spain, I'm a newbie and would appreciate some feedback on an itinerary. We are heavy into museums, historical sites, medieval towns, architecture, food, wine.....and whatever else interesting we run into. We have 2 weeks - 13 nights, here's the preliminary idea:

Fly into Madrid - 4 nights (day trip to Segovia or Toledo)

Train to Seville - 4 nights (day trip to ?)

Train to Granada - 1 night

Fly to Barcelona - 4 nights (day trip to Montserrat); fly home.

Can Granada be done with one night? Is it worth the hop? Alternatively, we could do 3 nights in Seville and 2 in Granada (Seville just looks so attractive to me, I wanted to spend enough time there). We also don't want to feel like we are traveling the whole time, we like to settle in and explore too. I just wanted to know from the experienced folks how that looks.

Thanks ahead of time !

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

I never advise on one night stands!

But if you have to be a where that the flights between Granada and Barcelona are via low cost airlines. Ensure your baggage fits there regulations for both size and weight. If not you pay dearly.

Is Granada worth the hop. Well it is worth a visit but you have seen my one night stand advice!

I have spent longer than 4 days in Seville and never felt the need to take day trips outside.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Thanks - yes I think a one night stand sounds like not enough. Thank you for especially pointing out luggage restrictions - I didn't even think of that! I assume it's the same policy to fly from Seville to Barcelona then.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

I don't like one night stands either ;)

However, I wouldn't reduce time in Madrid, Barcelona or Sevilla as 4 nights in each of these places is my personal minimums.

I would daytrip to Cordoba between Madrid and Sevilla. You can store your luggage in lockers located at the bus station directly across the street from teh train station. Alternatively you could return to Cordoba once you are in Sevilla but it seems to be a time saver if you just visit along the way.

Personally although I hate 1-nighters I'd probably go ahead and do it. Especially if you don't see yourself returning to Spain in the near future.Take an early bus/train from Sevilla so you arrive somewhat early in the day. Make sure you have bought tickets in advance for the Alhambra. You'll be able to visit the Alhambra and probably Cathedral and Albaicin which are the highlights.

If you could add a day to your trip it would be optimal but I know most people don't have this option.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Thank you CathyDM! I also wanted to stay at least 4 days in those cities, and will either add one day or save Granada for another trip - wise advice. The Cordoba day trip on the way is a good idea too.

If I save Granada for another time, which city is the best to add the extra day to - Madrid, Sevilla, or Barcelona?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,545 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

heiho:

Stay 2 days in Granada. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

If you could add a day to your trip I'd definitely add it to Granada so you'd have 2 nights. This would give you 4 days each in Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla plus the 2 in Granada. You'd get a good sampling of 3 regions and if you return to Spain could visit an entirely different region or visit one of these more in depth.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Another option which will cost two train sector tickets, train Madrid to Cordoba www.renfe.es Leave your luggage at the bus station opposite the train station, take the local bus outside the station to Old Cordoba and the Mesquita. Later continue to Seville a 45 minute train ride on the "Avant"

www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba.htm

Flights to Barcelona www.vueling.com from Seville

Day trip by public transport from Barcelona to Montserrat, travel up the mountain to the monastery by cable car.

barcelona-toruist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 12 January 2012, 07:02
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

Thank you everyone for the sage advice, I think we will add a day to do 4 nights each in Madrid, Sevilla, and Barcelona - with 2 nights in Granada. DH just decreed he needs to go to Granada! Can't wait!

10. Re: Feedback on Spain Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:20