We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

Hi-

I am in the process of planning 6-7 days in Spain this coming September. We would like to visit two cities- I am thinking Madrid and Barcelona but need help as to determine where to stay and what to do in each city. We are interested in a few of the major historical sites, but would like to enjoy some of the restaurants and beaches in Barcelona.

Help! I am a newby at planning European itineraries.

Thanks!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

With only 6-7 days you have barely enough time for Madrid and Barcelona. Focus on those two and you'll have a great time. In Barcelona I would stay in Bari Gotic or El Born, in Madrid there are several good neighborhoods, I like Plaza Mayor area. Read hotel reviews here I have gotten great hotels from TA. The beaches in Barcelona aren't that nice. In fact with the exception of the North coast, the beaches in Spain do not compare to Massachusetts so I wouldn't make it a beach destination. It's the cities in Spain that offer so much. Our cities in the U.S. can't compare to them (well maybe New Orleans, maybe).

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

With only 6-7 days and an interest in Madrid and Barcelona then I'd divide the time between the 2 or just choose one and do a couple of daytrips. You could easily just stay in one place but if you are energetic 20 year olds 6-7 days will be fast paced but you can do both. Fly into one and return home from the other - it will avoid backtracking. Train between the 2 cities (purchase advance web fares at a great discount 62 days in advance).

If you're traveling towards the end of September your trip may coincide with La Merce, the biggest festival of the year in Barcelona. If your trip is during this time you may really want to stay in Barcelona the entire trip!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,289 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

Jessica:

You can take the AVE between both cities. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

4. Re: Need Help Planning 1 Week in Spain for Couple in their 20's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 10:19