We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and culture - where to next?

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Beach and culture - where to next?

We just spent nine glorious days in Barcelona, our first ever visit to Spain. now we want to see more. Where could we visit in May/June where the water is warm enough to swim and there is some culture? I am thinking Malaga, but would love to hear what others think. We would likely rent an apartment and half an hour or two outside the city/town would be fine, as long as train or bus service is good.

Thanks!

Edited: 12 March 2012, 01:23
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and culture - where to next?

Malaga area would be my choice too.

Nerja is a good choice - an hours bus ride (frequent service) from Malaga city - also Rincon de la Victoria that is a much shorter distance from the city. La Carihuela west of the city is also popular.

Malaga city itself is a fascinating place and must be visited (wonderful architecture, some of the best Tapas Bars and restaurants you will find anywhere, culture +++, great shopping and beaches just 5 minutes walk from teh old city centre). Granada can be easily visited by bus from Malaga or Nerja - don´t forget that you need to pre-book tickets for the Alhambra well in advance (can be done up to 3 months ahead) to guarantee entry www.alhambra-tickets.es

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,651 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and culture - where to next?

Duncan:

A good place to try in Malaga for tapas is the Restaurant El Pimpi, which has an Andalusian look. All the famous visitors who go to Malaga are taken to this restaurant. You can see the wine barrels each of them have signed.

Do see our new museums:

1. Glass and Crystal Museum

2. Carmen Thyssen Musem

3. Automobile Museum

4. Holy Week Museum

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and culture - where to next?

Thank you both. I didn't realize that Malaga had beaches so close to its old town. I think the ease of getting to Granada from there, may seal the deal.

4. Re: Beach and culture - where to next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:18