We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from UK to Spain

Lincoln
Level Contributor
215 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from UK to Spain

Hi,

Just arrived back from Moraira, Costa Blanca, after an 8 hour delay at Alicante airport.

We then talked about next time driving down instead.

I know this is a huge topic, but am wondering if anyone could advise me on possible routes, places to stop over etc.?

Have always wanted to go to Santander, so perhaps that is the starting point?

I got great advice and support from TA when planning a 3 week holiday in Australia, so hoping for a similar response.

Thanks in anticipation.

Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

We came down from Bilbao in May and the trip which took just over 5 hours was amazingly easy with good, nearly empty roads for much of the trip. The route was around Saragossa and Teruel and then north around Valencia.

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi

We've done both the Bilbao and Santander, also the Dover to Calais which we enjoyed, had a stop over around Montpellier. You have to weigh up the cost of the ferry's and tolls. The long ferry's are around £400, a lot of money. But then when you get to Santander you only have around 8 hours driving. It's not so bad if your coming for a couple of weeks, but not for a week.

There may be a forum just on this,

Gail

Lincoln
Level Contributor
215 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi,

Thank you both for your advice. Lots to think about.

One of the main reasons for thinking about this topic is the cost of car hire . We hired 2 cars from Alicante, They then charged us for a full tank of petrol x2 . Because of the nature of our holiday we returned one car half full and the other was hardly used at all.

In the past we've had to put our own fuel in at the start,so you can judge how much to put in, according to how much you will use it.

I'm now going to look at car hire from Valencia.

Any tips would be helpful.

Thank you.

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi

When you book a car, why don't you say you want empty tanks, that way you can take them back empty. You used to have that option and I'm sure if you explain they will sort out for you.

Stay clear of Do you Spain who are brokers and once they have your money there is no way of contacting them etc. try and book with a local company, like Victoria rent a car or Sol Mar. There is aGold Car in Valencia as well but never used them, I believe some people have had problems with them.

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi

Forgot to say be careful of Record rent a car as well. Europe cars, Javea cars , are ok as well. Speak to them 1st by email, if they reply then your getting somewhere, some are getting very bad reputations.

Gail

6. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 21:15