We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend 12 days in Spain?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend 12 days in Spain?

Hi all -

I'll be solo traveling to Spain in October; this will be my first trip to Spain (yes, the horror....) and I could use some travel advice. I am very wide open on what to do, aside from two decisions I have made for myself on this trip:

1. I am not doing a "highlights" trip (e.g. Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, home).

2. I don't want to be rushed.

I am thinking of either a Northern Spain trip (Barcelona to San Sebastian) or more a Southern tour (Madrid to Seville). Any suggestions or thoughts on either of those trips? My main interests are architecture, history, art, though I do love good food. I'm traveling alone, so sitting on the beach is not my thing.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts on these routs; suggested itineraries are very welcome - thanks!

- Jim

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Barcelona
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Madrid
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Barcelona Day Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
BrightSide
City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

Hi,

I am from Granada and these are my suggestions.

October is a great month to travel throughout Spain, as you will avoid the high tourist season and the really hot months of summer (but still will enjoy a beautiful weather).

I would not do a Southern tour from Madrid to Seville, I'm afraid you would not find it especially interesting. It is a better idea to travel from Madrid to Seville and then there from West to East visiting Cádiz, Málaga, Granada, Córdoba (and some beautiful towns like Ronda, Baeza, Osuna, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cazorla...) and then back to Madrid. This way you will enjoy all your main interests: architecture, history and art (the Cathedral of Seville, the Alhambra, the Mosque of Cordoba, etc.) and Andalusian cuisine.

The Northern trip from Barcelona to San Sebastian is agood idea too, but I recommend you to go from Barcelona to San Sebastian and then to cantabria and Asturias. In Barcelona and San Sebastian you will enjoy the pleasures of two of the most sophisticated Spanish cities whereas in Cantabria and Asturias you will find a whole different atmosphere, from the amazing fishing towns of the coast to the secluded villages and green landscapes of the mountains. This way you will find wonderful monuments too (Gaudi's architecture in Barcelona, Romanesque close to Oviedo) and at the same time you can taste the best of Spanish food through the inexpensive pintxos of Bilbao or San Sebastian's old quarters or in the high-end restaurants of some of the world's most renowned chefs.

Finally, another option is to travel all over Castilia, in my opinion Spain's most peculiar area, all around Madrid. Here are some of the most beautiful Spanish cities and towns, such as Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, León, Salamanca and Burgos.

I hope this information helps you and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Best regards!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

My opinion is 3-4 nights in Seville, visit Cordoba one day from there, 2 nights in Granada, if you have any time left then any of the places La tarara listed in Andalucia would be great. Spend your last 3-4 nights in Madrid.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

I fully agree with CuthbertJ =)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

Thanks very much for the help! You all make a good case for the Southern Route. Do you have any thoughts on how best to get around? Rental car, Train, other?

Thanks!

Jim

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

I think the best option is to take the AVE (high-speed train) from Madrid to Seville (it takes about two hours and twenty minutes) and then there to rent a car to travel all over Andalusia. You can go back to Madrid by car or leave it in Malaga or Cordoba (you have AVE to Madrid here too) or Granada (you have good trains here to Madrid). Enjoy your trip!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

What La tarara said. cars are a major hassle in Seville, Granada and Cordoba. If you must rent a car upon leaving Sevile for example to drive through Ronda or a white village on the way to Granada or Malaga, if you reserve it before your trip it's quite cheap. If you show up at Santa Justa station to rent a car you'll pay a lot more. I would not rent a car. Seville, Granada. Malaga and Cordoba are fantastic small cities with so much going on etc. etc.

7. Re: How to spend 12 days in Spain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:15