We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

27 yo travelling solo through Spain

Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
27 yo travelling solo through Spain

Hi,

I'm 27, female, looking to travel through Spain in April 2013 and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on traveling solo through Spain.

Area's to avoid etc? What transport is more ideal? Whether hostels are safe??

I've been checking out the forums and there are definitely mixed opinions on the subject.

Anything is better than nothing!!!

Thanks.

(I haven't figured out a concrete or even rough itinerary yet, which is why I haven't include one)

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona Sagrada Familia and Museum...
3,016 Reviews
from US$48.80*
Spain, Andorra, and France 1-Day Tour...
1,074 Reviews
from US$161.30*
Barcelona Best of Tour with Sagrada...
1,676 Reviews
from US$111.30*
Special Offer
Granada, Skip-the-Line Alhambra...
621 Reviews
from US$144.10*
US$180.10
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

I can't tell you about hostels. But I can tell you that I travel to Spain as a solo female is perfectly safe as long as you use the same common sense you do at home. I travel twice a year to Spain 80% of the time by myself and actually feel safer in Spain then in the US. It's hard to say what areas to avoid as Spain is a large country so without knowing better the cities you plan to visit it's hard to say what areas to avoid.

The biggest issue you'll probably find is the possibility of being pickpocketed. That said, I've never had anything taken in all of my trips. I don't get paranoid and just take the normal precautions - I never carry a large sum of cash with me and my credit cards are in separate places so I'd always have one just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

fragile:

It is perfectly safe for a female to travel alone in Spain. And it is quite common now.

Here is an article about safety:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187427-c181687/Spain…

Train travel is very convenient. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Mentioned in this post
RENFE
RENFE
304 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

On the subject of transport - all - bus, train, plane, taxi, cycle, legs - may have a place depending on what is on your wish list of destinations.

I have not used a hostEl in thirty years but I/we use many a hostAl and pension and small hotel which in many cases will give you a similar 'cheap' price but with a room to yourself.

As a generality, Spain is far safer than countries in Northern Europe and the U.S. (no idea about your home country), but all cities and conurbations of the world require street sense. Pickpocketing and robbing with guile is much more likely than a mugging.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

I think all said about safety.

As for your itinerary, it depends on how many days you have, where you are coming from (and how, plane, train, etc) and when (April is a great month in Spain because there are festivities in lots of places, so it is wise to check up your dates exactly to be in a certain place at a certain time and enjoy a nice festival). Well, and of course, your interests! Spain is a very culturally and geographically diverse country so you can get almost anything you want... Post some ideas or interests and see if we can help.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

Thanks.

I'm going to be in Spain for a good 3 - 4 weeks.

I want to spend time in amongst the culture.

Roughly, I guess I'd want to visit, Madrid (probably where I'd fly into actually), San Sebastian, Pyrenees, Barcelona, Alicante, Valencia?

I haven't figured out everywhere.

I hope the train system is easy to use.

Was considering a tour, as cliche as they are but only for a week or 2 weeks to get the general feel of things. Not sure if this is a good idea, I've done tours before, and they do just take you past where they think is most interesting. But I can always revisit those cities.

I do love seafood, I've heard there are a few places in Spain that are good for this.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel San Sebastian
Hotel San Sebastian
299 Reviews
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

Madrid and Barcelona deserve about 1 week each (you can do daytrips from them to other interesting places like Segovia, Toledo, Monserrat, Girona...)

Then San Sebastian and Pyrenees are good choices if you like mountains. I'm a bit surprised that you include Alicante and Valencia, as they are usually not top spanish destinations if visiting for the first time. Andalusia in my opinion is a more interesting place, with top cities like Cordoba, Seville, Malaga or Granada.

Train is a good mean of transport, check RENFE website. Maybe it's interesting to get the Spanish Rail Pass, check into it. There will be times when it's better to fly instead of taking the train, for example if you want to get from San Sebastian to southern spain. Vueling, Ryanair and Iberia Express are low cost companies where you can get one way flights for less than 50 euros. Seafood is good in most places with coast, I especially like the one in Galicia and Andalusia (very different one from the other). If visiting Valencia or Seville get a rice dish. Those places are famous for their rice production and rice cooking (paella and more).

I wouldn't consider a tour as they are expensive and spain is quite easy to navigate on your own with a bit of research and plannification.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel San Sebastian
Hotel San Sebastian
299 Reviews
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
RENFE
RENFE
304 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

I have a friend who recommended Alicante for a short visit. They were over there for 7 weeks last year.

I'm hoping that around April its not too busy and I can just plan things as I go instead of way ahead, except for where I need to of course.

I have been told before about cheap flights between places.

So that's an excellent recommendation thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
8. Re: 27 yo travelling solo through Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 08:19