We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Week in Spain

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holy Week in Spain

My friend and I are planning a 10 day trip to Spain (Mar 22 to Mar 31). We realized after booking our flights, that Spain is a very religious country and we might have issues with museums/tourist attractions being closed. This will be our first time in Spain and we'd like to see as much as possible. We are flying in and out of Madrid, and Barcelona is a must for us. In addition, We'd like to see San Sebastian, Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba... Are there any suggestions for an itinerary taking our dates into consideration?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Week in Spain

With only 10 days you will have just enough time to visit Madrid and Barcelona with some Daytrips to the surrounding areas. Unless you want a whirlwind tour of freeways/bus stations and train terminals there's no way to add San Sebastian , Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba to the mix. Is your goal to see as much as possible or to enjoy your first trip of 10 days at a reasonable pace?

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Week in Spain

We don't mind trains. And we would like our first trip to be just a taste of Spain. Whichever places we like best we'll come back for more at another time. We plan to spend about 2 days in each Madrid and Barcelona. We'd like to travel in the evenings so as to maximize our daylight sightseeing time.

How easy is it to get in between Sevilla, cordoba and Granada? They seem fairly close to each other... Is it better to take buses in that area?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Week in Spain

Forget San Sebastian on this trip, it is in the north and completely opposite direction to your other cities listed.

Seville will be fully booked and any remaining hotels very expensive for Holy week. You could make Cordoba a base for a couple of days and "do" Seville by train as a day trip to get a taste of the city. Bus from Cordoba to Granada http://www.alsa.es/en/) for 2 days then fly to Barcelona (http://www.vueling.com/en/).

You must also pre-book your tickets for the Alhambra in Granada, once your itinerary is finalised.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Week in Spain

If you only have 6 days for Andalucia then I'd personally spend 4 nights in Sevilla and visit Cordoba en route by train from Madrid. The train from Madrid tomAevilla takes 2.5 hours but goes through Cordoba. Then I'd take the bus or train (3 hours) to Granada. From Granada I'd fly to Barcelona

As the previous poster mentioned hotels in Sevilla will be at a premium price. If this is an issue then I'd suggest Jerez as an alternate. It would be a shame to have to visit Sevilla as a daytrip through. But from Jerez you could do Daytrips to Cadiz, Arcos, El Puerto de Santa Maria,etc...

2 days each in Madrid and Barcelona will be a blur as your first day will be jetlagged and you'll also eat up time getting from Andalucia to Barcelona.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy Week in Spain

Marina:

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Good Friday is a national holiday and most museums will be closed.

All of Spain will be on vacation during Holy Week, so you have to book hotels early.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 05:13
6. Re: Holy Week in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:16