We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busabout as a teetotaller

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Busabout as a teetotaller

Hi all

I'll be traveling around Europe from May 2013 - August 2013 and am looking for some advice on travel modes / tours.

I'm 27 years-old and because of health reasons I've had to stop drinking alcohol and am not looking to party until all hours every night. I'm still keen to meet heaps of people and head out to dinner and bars without actually drinking and being out until 4am every night. Thus I'm wondering what people's advice is regarding purchasing busabout loop passes? Eg. Are the majority of people on the buses there to party hard? I've read that busabout tends to cater for many demographics but thought I'd get some more opinions.

I have no time constraints but it is my first time traveling Europe and my itinerary will include Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Vienna, Rome, Florence, Paris, The Somme region and Barcelona. My priorities are taking each destination slowly, visiting WWI and WWII sites, hitting the Tour De France and most importantly meeting plenty of people.

So thoughts on busabout for someone not drinking? Or should I just wing it and organise rail / plane and hostel accommodation as I go?

Thanks heaps

Jim

scotland
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes might be a good idea , another option would be to look at www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=1351

Of course you will have to convert to $AU.

Your Airpot of arrival might determin which way you travel ,ie N to S ,train travel in €urope is generally quite good and Intercity trains are spot on , eg Amsterdam , as your start point , you can pick up a train to almost any other city and the same with Paris and many others . dependimg on the cost of your flight from AU , I'd start North and head South . Amsterdam was only an idea as most airlines will hub there . and easy to get into Belgium , Germany France etc .

Edited: 26 January 2013, 07:25
scotland
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Tour route 2013

guardian.co.uk/sport/graphic/2012/oct/24/tou…

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Thanks so much for the response . Good suggestion re north to south. That's what I was thinking too.

Wondering about whether the busabout option would be ok for non-drinkers? Any thoughts. I'm a solo traveller also

Thanks heaps.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,365 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Jim:

What is a busabout? That term is not familiar to me.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Not what you asked, but you say May to August - will this be greater than 90 days and do you understand the Schengen agreement?

Rail passes I direct you here - seat61.com/…Should

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Google is your friend Benny:

http://www.busabout.com/

A way of touring Europe cheaply, popular with Antipodeans. Jim is probably asking whether it's suitable for him as apparently 80% of the 'luggage' space is reserved for tinnies.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 09:02
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Thanks for the info guys.

WomBatt yep I am aware of the Schengen agreement. I plan to work this out as I go and may modify plans as needed in the next two months. This was just a general time frame.

And yes essentially I'm just asking about the suitability of busabout for someone that doesn't drink alcohol or want to party each night. I understand that it offers flexibility but just wanted to get general views.

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Hi Jim

I used to be a guide for Busabout in Europe 2010/2011 on the Hop on Hop off coaches and i wanted to tell you that there is no pressure to drink. Because it is an independent style of travel you can do your own thing at each city. There is no drinking on the coaches. It is chilled out.

You will also meet all walks of life on the coaches - different people each time - different ages and different style of travelers. There is always the groups of young ones that like to party but it is not something guides push.

The benefit of travelling on the coaches over rail is having a guide who will tell you all about each city. And you get dropped off at a hostel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Amanda

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

Hi Amanda

Thanks for the response! Great to get an insiders view of it.

I think I will go with busabout. The flexibility and diversity does sound appealing and others that I have spoken to have concurred with your sentiments regarding the many different groups that make up busabout.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Cheers

Jim

10. Re: Busabout as a teetotaller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 06:16