We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

Detroit
Level Contributor
595 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

I'm planning my first trip to Spain. I loved the palaces in Morocco and I'm told Spain is similar. Can anyone tell me which cities in Spain most resemble Morocco? Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

Phishkabob:

Granada has the Alhambra Palace. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

The Alcazar in Seville also was built by Arab rulers, and is very elaborate. Similar but much smaller is the Alcazar in Malaga.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

mudejar spain is mainly located in Andalusia (green dots in the map) (mainly Granada, Seville, Cordoba, Malaga and some other cities). But there is also a fair amount in Aragon (yellow dots) and some other places.

…wikimedia.org/wiki/…26_Portugal.svg

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

In Spain you can find remains of Muslim buildings, built by the Muslim rulers in the middle ages. Not to be confused with Mudejar architecture, these are usually posterior to the Christian re-conquest amd are buildings with "Muslim-like" decorations, many of them are churches. The best Mudejar sights are probably to be found in Aragon, mainly around Teruel.

The best Muslim palaces are probably the Alhambra in Granada and, not in the same league but interesting enough the Aljaferia in Zaragoza. But mind these are not as well preserved as those you could see in Morocco.

The Reales Alcázares in Sevilla are mainly Mudejar, but probably the most similar to what you have in mind.

Go with an open mind... Different countries, different sights!

Edited: 19 February 2013, 10:41
5. Re: Which city's palaces most resemble Morocco/Marrakesh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:17