We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Itinerary Help!!

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Need Itinerary Help!!

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Spain for May. This will be our first visit to Spain, and we would like to see as much as possible. Priorities are: Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Toledo, Granada, and Tangier, if possible. I am having difficulty figuring out the order of which to visit each of these places, as well as the best means of transportation between each place. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

Flying into Madrid, train to Toledo for day trip, and for Barcelona www.renfe.com/viajeros/index.html

Fly Barcelona to Granada www.vueling.com

Renfe train Granada to Seville or bus www.alsa.es

Bus Seville to Algeciras www.linesur.com

Ferry bus Algeciras to Tarifa for ferry to Tangier www.frs.es

Renfe train to Madrid.

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com www.timeout.com/madrid

www.go-toledo.com

www.Bacelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona

www.Andalucia.com

Alhambra tickets www.granadainfo.com/alhambra

On the respective forum pages Top Questions, you will find furthur information for your visit.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

Sar:

I would do this sequence:

1. Barcelona

Take the AVE to Madrid. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

2. Madrid

3. Toledo as a day trip while in Madrid. Read about this day trip in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

4. Seville - Go to this city on the AVE from Madrid.

5. Granada - Stay 2 days and take the bus or train from Seville. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

I would not go to Tangier. There are so many other Spanish cities more interesting, such as Ronda and Malaga and Cordoba.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

I'd budget 5 nights for Madrid and Barcelona. This would give you time for a daytrip from Barcelona (ie. Girona, Montserrat, Tarragona, etc...) and 2 from Madrid (Toledo and Segovia). I'd budget 4 nights for Sevilla (more if you have time) w/a daytrip to Cordoba and 2 nights in Granada. Unless you have more than 17 days I'd skip Tangier - it wouldn't be on my list of must sees for a first trip to Spain (there are much nicer places in Andalucia than going to Morocco for 1 day IMHO).

When is your trip in May? If this falls during the Patio festival or May crosses festivals then I'd definately plan the time in Granada and Cordoba around this timing.,

It would help to know how long you have for your trip and if you've already purchased airfare.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

Thank you for the advice! Benny, I think you are right about Tangier - I am reading very mixed reviews on it. How many nights would you recommend in Barcelona/Madrid?

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

Cathy,

Thank you for your reply!! This is very helpful. We have not yet purchased airfare. We are looking at 11-14 days, likely leaving the US on Saturday, May 11th. However, are dates are still somewhat flexible as we have not booked airfare. I just looked up the festivals you mentioned online! Thanks for the tip!!

My husband's grandfather immigrated to the US from somewhere in the Andalucia region, so perhaps we can investigate that town instead of Morocco. If we have time, that is!

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

How does this look? Are we trying to do too much?

Day 1 – Fly into Barcelona, Sleep Barcelona

Day 2 – Barcelona, Sleep Barcelona

Day 3 – Train to Madrid, Sleep Madrid

Day 4 – Madrid, Sleep Madrid

Day 5 – Toledo Day Trip, Sleep Madrid

Day 6 – Train to Seville, Sleep Seville

Day 7- Seville, Sleep Seville

Day 8- Gilbraltar Daytrip from Seville (Through Viator)

Day 9 – Train to Granada, Sleep Granada

Day 10 – Granada, Flight to Madrid, Sleep Madrid

Day 11 – Flight from Madrid to the United States

los altos...
Level Contributor
471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

This is much too rushed for my taste. You have only 3 days that you are not on a train. We will be going for 18 nights and doing a trip similar to yours except no Gibraltar. I really think that keeping this pace, the trip will just be a blur to you when it is over. Or do you always travel at this pace?

Sebina

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

Sar:

You are trying to see too many places in the short time you will have in Spain.

I would cut Gibraltar out because I have been there and it is mostly a shopping experience.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

If you only have 10 nights I'd cut out a geography: Madrid, Barcelona or Andalucia as you just don't have time to do all of this at a reasonable pace in 10 nights.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Itinerary Help!!

You are trying to squeeze in too much. You wll spend so much time traveling during valuable vacation time. I would visit Barcelona some other time. I would also skip Tangier. 10 nights is barely enough time for Madrid, Seville and Granada.