We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strikes

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
990 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Strikes

Dear TA,

These may be stupid questions, in fact I am pretty sure they are. So thanks for your patience in advance.

I thinking of heading to Spain around mid-late August / September / early October for about a month. I have yet to book anything so my dates are still flexible.

I have heard there are a few strikes and protests going on against austerity. Are there dates that are more prone to strikes? Eg. elections dates coming up etc that I should avoid?

Is this common...

…yahoo.com/spains-royal-palace-workers-call-…

This worries me a bit. In a previous thread the impression I got was this is not unlikely to happen. Places like the Alhambra, Prado - are they becoming a target?

How much warning is usually given when strikes happen?

Thanks

regards

Kevin

Barcelona Sagrada Familia and Museum...
3,013 Reviews
from US$48.80*
Spain, Andorra, and France 1-Day Tour...
1,074 Reviews
from US$161.30*
Barcelona Best of Tour with Sagrada...
1,676 Reviews
from US$111.30*
Special Offer
Granada, Skip-the-Line Alhambra...
621 Reviews
from US$144.10*
US$180.10
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strikes

'How much warning is usually given when strikes happen?' - There is legislation and penalties are in place where essential services are concerned (where it affects you, transport I suppose and for example). Weeks of notice are required (four minimum, I think). Iberia the airline, for example, gave more than the statutory for strikes over five days commencing next Monday the 18th. As you can see from your link, whether included in legislation or not, the 'palace workers' gave a lot of notice. There is no 'trend' for striking.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
990 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strikes

Thanks... I guess they are targeting Easter holidays specifically???

Any special European holiday dates in August, September, October that perhaps I could avoid?

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
990 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strikes

I think I am being an idiot.... :D How could anyone predict 6 months from now?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strikes

Kevin:

Most of the strikes do not affect tourist sights. What would worry me is if there was an airline strike, like the one of Iberia today.

Yes, the strikes are completely unpredictable. Come to Spain. It is worth the uncertainty.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strikes

Looks like the Iberia Airlines / Airport strikes have been settled. Both parties have agreed the mediators plan and a middle road for redundencies and wage cuts has been agreed, thus pressure on Easter Holiday travelers has been reduced.

In general the way Spain deals with strike action is good, in that the unions must give a minimum 5 days advance notice of strike action, but invarriably give some 2 weeks notice, allowing business and travelers time to make plans. Airlines etc must still provide a minimum service and the unions co-operate with that minimum level, decided on in each case by the government. The Iberia strikes are a perfect example of this, the Government on hearing the Unions strike notice set a minimum level of service to be provided, the airline posted in advance which flights would be effected and which flights would continue as normal despite the strike. Arbitration and mediation services brought the two sides together on contencious issues and agreement was reached recently. Quite a civilised way of dealing with industrial disputes even when feelings are running high due to 'La crisis.'

All parties are very aware that tourism is one of the few things that stands any chance of helping the Spanish enconomy and no-one wants to damage tourism, the main tourist attractions will remain open to tourism and you can plan your vacation with confidence.

Come and enjoy what Spain has to offer and do your bit to assist economic recovery by doing so.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
990 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strikes

That's amazing!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The royal palace strikes over the Easter break was what had me worried. I guess if they only strike a couple of days and not everything goes on strike all at once I can work around it if given enough notice.

Has the railway gone on strike at all? I don't plan to catch any internal flights. Just Singapore Airline in and out of Barcelona.

Thanks so much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
7. Re: Strikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16