We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

I am looking into spending two weeks in Spain this summer at a Diverbo Pueblo Ingles volunteer program for teens. I am 15 years old and would be traveling alone from New York City to Madrid where a program representative would pick me up from the airport and provide transportation to the program venue. However, my parents have many concerns due to the recent strikes at Iberia airline which took place in Madrid. Along with the eurozone crisis and rising bankruptcy my parents fear the situation in Spain might worsen with more strikes which may pose a danger to the public. Nevertheless, as my parents are aware that they do not know of the exact situation in Spain, they didn't yet say no to my trip.

We are now trying to find out if going to Spain this summer would indeed be a bad idea. Is the situation in Madrid, and in Spain overall, dangerous at the moment? I wouldn't be spending more then two days in Madrid itself as the bulk of the program takes place at a resort around four hours away from the city. Any and all information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Aerobus
Mass Transportation Systems, Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Taxi Pmi
Taxis & Shuttles
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Strikes are a Spanish tradition. I have a daughter and I would not worry about her safety in Spain. Pickpocketing or swiping a purse or iphone etc. may happen in tourist areas of Madrid or on a subway but it is not usually a threat to one's physical safety. More concern to me is that Spain is as hot as West Texas in the summertime.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
995 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Industrial disputes here are very civilised so even when they effect you personaly they are inconvienient rather than 'Dangerous'. The iberia strike for instance, seeing that you mention it, was not a total shut down. it was notified well in advance, the rules made it so that a minimum service had to be maintained. 90% of the canceled flights effected internal flights only and most long haul flights operated as normal. Yes pickets shout out loud but no there was no violence involved,only strong feelings. A visitor would not be involved in this and would be very unlucky to see it even, much less become endangered.

Crime here is not a huge problem, no more than any other western county. Take usual precautions in crowded places, keep money, valuables and phones safe etc, just as you would at home, and there is no problem. You will be visiting a civilised old european country, it aint the third world, and may actualy be far safer than where you are traveling from. Please do not get embroiled in journalistic hype.

The type of programme you describe is well chaperoned and safe. Come ahead and enjoy the experience.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Strikes have to be legally notified 3 weeks in advance.

Spain is still a far more ´safe´ destination than much of Europe.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,618 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Klaudia:

The majority of strikes are not dangerous or violent. They are just noisy. All you have to do is just walk past them and not pay any attention. Remember that TV news will always show the worst things, which are not representative.

Spain is very safe. Probably safer than New York City. I have been to places in New York City that scared me!

The good thing about the crisis is that hotels have reduced prices by 10 to 15%.

Do come and do not worry too much.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Dangers of travelling to Spain:

- The heat in Caceres area (day time), Priego de Córdoba (day time) and Jerez (day and night time) Apart from that venues, the others are located in mountain areas, therefore cooler weather.

- Falling in love with the country. <3

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

If an Iberia strike was arranged for your dates your main problem could be getting here if you are using this airline.

Tell your parents that statistically Spain is safer than most of the United States, including New York City that as you may know is the safest big city in your country.

Some protests can turn violent, just like it happened in Seattle during the G8 summit riots, but at 15 years old and accompanied odds that you can be anywhere near these events (if they happen at all during your stay in the country) are essentially zero.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 07:55
scotland
Level Contributor
17,404 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

The only dangers you might encounter in the summer is the heat and as above you will be safer in Spain than some City's in the US

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
921 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

As for being pickpocketed or having things stolen, you have to be aware as you are at home about your personal belongings. Don't go into 'holiday mode' and lose all common-sense and you will be just fine!

I have applied to volunteer for one of the adults courses - now just have to wait for a reply!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Being 15 years old you will be chaperoned during visit to Spain, go and enjoy as our own 15 years old niece is enjoying in Naples; on her studentstudy stay.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dangers of traveling to Spain in the summer of 2013

Spain is far, far safer than New York City.