We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

Leatherhead, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

Hi there

Me and my husband have been to nearly all Spanish islands but never on the mainland. We are planning 10 days in Spain at the end of May beginning June.

Do you have any suggestions to where we would be best heading to? We will have our 4 year old son and would love to be close to the beach but will be doing a lot of seightseeing and we also love old castles/ruins. We aren't very fussy about being in a very touristic place.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

cambrils is a nice relaxing fishing town in the catalonia region. I prefer the catalonia region as it seems to have more about it. Cambrils is a fishing town, so you have lovely, not too busy, beaches and fresh seafood restaurants. Also if you want it a little livelier then you can hope on the bus to the next door town of salou.

Catalonia is home to Barcelona also, which is a fantastic city with a lot of architecture to see. There is also taragonna, which is a short bus ride from cambrils. Its a city with roman ruins.

Theres also Montserrat monastery which is within easy reach of cambrils and then sitges, which is a lovely town that has a large gay following. This is just a simple snapshot of the region, and theres much more to see.

So my advice would be...the catalonia region as a good starting point.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

Gonia:

I live in Malaga and it is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain. The downtown is completely walkable and we have beaches. The Malaga park has a playground, and so has Muelle Uno. We have many museums, churches and monuments to keep you occupied. We have two castles, the Gibralfaro and the Alcazaba. We have great restaurants and tapas bars. The shopping in Malaga is very good and sophisticated, with many good boutiques. Malaga Airport is the third largest in Spain and easy to reach.

Read the top questions in the Malaga forum. While in Malaga you can do a day trip to Ronda, one of the most beautiful white towns in Andalucía.

Good hotels are the AC Malaga Palacio, Molina Lario Hotel and the Vincci Posada del Patio.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

The question is "Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????"

I feel anywhere along the North coast will be less touristy, however it will not be beach weather every day. So it is a difficult question to give a straight answer to.

Malaga has the busiest harbour for cruise liners in Spain and one of the busiest airports. I would hardly think it is a destination that is non touristy.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

Spain is too big and too diverse to get a simple answer to a question like this. Even next to the most touristy places you may find lovely local places. I'm not so familiar with the South, and I do much prefer the North, but this is too personal. Maybe better have a look at Spain.info first, pick a region you like and ask for more specific info about there.

If you fancy the idea of visiting Catalonia, apart of Cambrils suggested above, a better option IMHO is Vilanova i la Geltru: very family friendly, some of the best beaches in the area. It has a lovely Medieval area too (La Geltru). Vilanova is located just between Tarragona and Barcelona, so you can visit both very easily (a cheap train ride, about 40mins, many trains per day). There are many other places of interest nearby, that you can reach by train, bus or rental car (Sitges, Vilafranca del Penedes, Montserrat, the natural park of Garraf...)

Wherever you decide to go, have fun!

5. Re: Best family place in Spain, not necessary for tourists????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:18