We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
37 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

I am trying to plan a 17 day trip to Spain in July, flying in from Madrid and leaving from Barcelona. I will be with my spouse, my elderly but relatively fit parents and 11 year old daughter.

I originally planned an itinerary consisting of 4 days Madrid (day trip to Toledo & Segovia), 3 days Seville, 2 days Tarifa (with a day trip to Morocco), 2 days Granada, 4 days Barcelona. However, after reading some comments from others that the July heat in Seville and Granada nearly chocked them to death, and that they spent most of the daytime hours pasted to the A/C in their hotel room, I find my enthusiasm rapidly waning. I am from Seattle and "hot" in my experience is about 76F. So my first question is: Am I right to feel this way?

And if the heat is indeed that bad, I am thinking perhaps of swapping Andalucia for Northern Spain, such as Santiago de Compostella, Bilbao, Donostia and Picos de Europa. I have always been fascinated with the Celts so I could see this being charming. But my second question is: Are there enough variety of experience in this line up to entertain my 11 year old and elderly parents? (These are people who In Provence said after seeing three small towns that everything is starting to look alike.) For this reason, I usually try to mix big cities, small towns and mountains and coastlines. What would be the best way to do that here?

Now, here is my third dilemma. My daughter gets carsick easily and in my past experience nothing dampens a vacation like barf stench. For this reason, I would prefer to incorporate trains over cars. But from everything I am reading, it seems cars are recommended for sightseeing in Northern Spain. So my question is, if I want to keep driving at a minimum, in what order should I arrange my destinations and what alternative transport could be taken where?

I know I have selfishly dribbled my problems but any help would be much appreciated!!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

****So my question is, if I want to keep driving at a minimum, in what order should I arrange my destinations and what alternative transport could be taken where?***

First of all cut down on the locations you wish to visit.

In cities use the local bus. A car is needed for countryside locations.

Fly from Madrid to one of the locations up north. And then fly back again.

If you want to visit the land of the Celts then Galicia is the only place, well Asturias too.

5 of you and luggage in a car will be a squeeze.

I feel you may have to do a bit more planning here, but we are here to help :-)

los altos...
Level Contributor
471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

If you do not like heat, are you sure you want to visit Spain in July? How about England/Ireland or Scandanavia?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,284 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

Hope:

You can still see Andalusia during summer. First get a hotel with air conditioning. Go out early in the morning when it is not so hot. Have lunch and then take a siesta. Go out later in the evening when it cools down. Andalusia is worth seeing.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
37 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

Thank you very much for the replies.

You are right. 5 is a squeeze in the car and I do need to do a lot more thinking.

I did consider other destinations such as England etc. but my mother has said she would like to see Spain before she becomes too old for travel. Also, my father refused to go to a destination without gastronomical pleasures.

I will try to follow your advice do my best to find a hotel with air conditioning. The Japanese blood in our veins makes it difficult to consider the notion of siesta when we have limited time to see wonders but I suppose it is better than not seeing Andalucia at all.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

The difference between north Spain and southern Spain that in the The north summer day time temps are usually cooler. However day time temps will not be disappointing in a lot of the north. There are a lot of red wine growing areas that means high temps and a fair bit of sun!

The trouble, for me at least is that in the south night time temps do not lower that much. So sometimes it is the lack of decent sleep that can be a problem. I prefer fresh air to air-con. But I know everyone is different. If you have to break your day up with a siesta then that means you cannot go far from your night base.

It is said that San Sebastian (The Basque area) has the best regional food in Spain, closely followed by Galicia.

Good luck with whatever region you choose. Spain will not disappoint.

6. Re: North Spain itinerary Dilemmas - Please Help Me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:17