We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

Hi there; looking for some much needed advice. My boyfriend and I are traveling to Spain this summer from July 27-August 5th and have only booked flights. We are flying into Barcelona on a Friday hoping to stay there until Tuesday/Wednesday. Then we'd like to visit a beach town from Wednesday-Friday, going to Madrid Fri-Sun and then back home. We are in our mid 20s, love to explore different cities, good shopping, enjoy food/wine, would like to have a lively atmosphere for after dinner but definitely will not be clubbing or out until all hours as we'd like to make the most of sightseeing during the days. We went to Santorini last year, and would LOVE something similiar. We loved Perissa and how you could get a lounge chair, walk right off the beach and eat, then go back and order drinks to your spot. We'd like to spend around $200 a night on a hotel.

Barcelona/Madrid are set, we are just really having a hard time finding a 'beach' location to split up our trip. We were first looking into the Balearic Islands but found Ibiza to look a little too crazy for us as we do not anticipate going clubbing. I didn't like that Mallorca seemed to be a bunch of commercialized beach resorts that didn't have any Spanish charm or culture. It looks as though it would feel just like Mexico.

We have also looked into San Sebastian; I love the idea of the beach right off the city, and all of the wonderful food options. My prime concern here is that I read the rain is a huge issue - one guide said that if you spend four days in SS, expect only ONE day to be a beach day!

We have also looked into Marbella, which looks like a wonderful beach location, but a lot of the hotels looked to be on the higher price range.

Now I am wondering if we should look into Lagos?!?! Any insight would be TRULY appreciated, I think we are just on information overload scouring the internet and being indecisive! Help! Thank you!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

Have you considered Begur on the Costa Brava north of Barcelona?

San Sebastian is wonderful but for only 3 days logistically Begur makes a better choice and it's beautiful.

Of course with 10 days you could just focus on Madrid and Barcelona and still be busy

http://www.begur.cat/turisme/eng/index.php

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

I would cut out Madrid and go to San Sebastian if you can find a hotel.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

Hi Cathy, I haven't even heard of Begur so will definitely check it out!! Do you know the best method of transportation to get there? We will not have a rental car. Unfortunately, we already booked our return flight out of Madrid :( But a good idea, to maybe cut down on our time there.... Really appreciate it!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

It looks like there are 3 buses a day from Barcelona to Begur (and reverse) on Sarfa. I'm not sure about rail - I'm hoping others may be able to help. My one experience using public transportation to get to Begur was from Girona. I took a bus to Palafrugell and then a taxi to Begur.

Once in Begur there are shuttles that run to the various beaches and bus services to Calella de Palafrugell and Lafranc. You can walk on a coastal and mountain walk from Calella to Llafranc. I live at the beach and have visited many beach areas but this little area is amazing.

www.sarfa.com/paginas/sarfa_portada.php…

http://www.beguronline.com/reach.htm

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

stephanie,

what did you end up doing? your description of what you want to do fit us to a tee! we are going to spain in june for about 10 days. we were thinking of doing madrid for 3 nights and san sebastian for 5, but wanted to potentially go somewhere else (ideally close to san sebastian) beautiful, beachy but not too touristy for 2 nights. anyone have any suggestions?? thanks in advance!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

food:

This summer I spent a week in San Sebastian and had a wonderful time. I stayed at the Hotel Londres by the Playa de la Concha.

You could go to Bilbao after San Sebastian. There are very many things to see there. Read the top questions in the Bilbao forum.

7. Re: Marbella, San Sebastian, Mallorca, or ... Portugal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21