We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe Train tickets

CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe Train tickets

Hi,

I have been trying to use my Debit Card from the US to purchase tickets from the Renfe web-site and it won't let me. I've have even called my bank to make sure there were no foreign transaction holds and they have been cleared but I still can't purchase my tickets.

I really would like to get these before we get there as I don't want to be stuck without transportation and it's the very last journey of our 3 week trip.

Any help in using this sight or a phone number that I can call and they will actualy answer...b/c I tried that too with no luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,453 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe Train tickets

I don't know if the site will take debit cards -- I had no trouble making multiple reservations with my credit card and printing the tickets at home

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe Train tickets

deogden:

Have you read Buying Renfe Tickets Online?

CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe Train tickets

Hi,

To Janett, yes they will only take debit cards or points. I tried to put in a Visa and a different debit card number and could not make the purchase with either.

To Benny, I googled searched, "Buying Renfe Tickets Online" and could not find a link. Can you send me the link? Is there something I should be looking for??

Thanks!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe Train tickets

read the extensive information here:

http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm

CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe Train tickets

Hi,

That's an excellent web-site but I can't seem to find any information on why I can only get to the place on the Renfe ticket web-site where I enter my debit card but it won't go through. As I mentioned In the previous post, I've called the bank and it's been released, so I can't figure out why the system won't take it?

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe Train tickets

Hi,

I had a similar problem trying to buy Alsa bus tickets online. I was unable to directly use my credit card, but by going through the PayPal option I could use it.

I bought Renfe tickets through Rail Europe, and found it very straightforward, with comparable prices to the Renfe site. I had no trouble using a credit card on that site.

Good luck!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renfe Train tickets

seat61.com/…_in_a_nutshell

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renfe Train tickets

Hi,

I didn't see an option for PayPal on the Renfe site when you go to purchase. It only had 2 choices, Debit Cards and Points.

Also, I did check with Rail Europe and their prices were almost double, thus why I wnt to use the Renfe site so desperately.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renfe Train tickets

There is no paypal option

On this page seat61.com/…How_to_use_www.renfe.com

It suggests you have to get your card verified or read this section:

seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train…

10. Re: Renfe Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:17