We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Hello all... My wife & I will be in Spain, Sept 11-16. Barcelona-Aragon-Madrid-Seville respectively with a hired car. Ive searched for Flamenco dancing in all those areas and have gotten so many mixed reviews that my head is spinning! Budget is moderate, transportation not a prob and really looking for authentic and amazing dancing/music. I've already considered: Taberna Flamenca El Cortijo, Corral de la Moreria, Casa Patas & Las Tablas (totally open to other places of course). Any suggestions or thoughts on the above? Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Hi Jeffery

Flamenco is originary from the South of Spain, so if you want to see it in its "hometown", Sevilla. As well, there you will have more chances to find true local places. In the rest of Spain, most locals do not care much about flamenco, so usually the venues are very touristy.

However, you can find excellent flamenco shows in Madrid and Barcelona. Both cities received many migrants from Andalucía at the beginning of the XX century, and some of the best flamenco artists were actually born there. Many other good artists may come from Andalusia to Madrid or Barcelona to play. So, in both cities the venues are all touristy, but some of them are very good. I do not know in Madrid, but in Barcelona:

- Los Tarantos is central, offers a short but good value show. You may go there one night, and leave a "better" show for Madrid or Sevilla.

- Tablao de Carmen is probably the best place for flamenco in town and actually one of the best in the country. It is named after the late Carmen Amaya, a flamenco legend born in Barcelona.

In any case, do not take a show including dinner, this screams 'tourist trap'. Go for a show with drinks and have a better valuea dinner anywhere else.

Buen viaje!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

You will need your dancing shoes :) www.sevillaflamenco.com www.flamencomuseum.com

Edited: 13 June 2013, 01:13
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

belsaita - thank so much for the input so far... ive read that if you order a dinner/show you tend to get better seats as opposed to those who just pay for the show getting the less favorable ones. not sure if this is true... i have also read many great things about Andalucia, wish we had more time to spend there as well! =[

nurioopta - lol, im ready and willing! ;-]

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

I havent been to flamenco shows in madrid or barcelona, but i can recommend Casa de la Memoria in Seville, very professional and talented show. I would avoid dinner+show options as they tend to be overpriced and the quality of the dinner itself is nothing special. You can enjoy a really nice dinner for that money in a nice restaurant after/before the show.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Hola,

The issue with better/worse seating will depend on each place layout I guess. I only been to a "tablao" many years ago in Madrid, can't remember its name. As we were not having dinner, we were allowed to seat just by the stage (without tables, drink in hand) so it was great.

I heard in Tablao de Carmen you are put in the first level if you choose the only drinks option. A Canadian friend has been there a couple of times and she says she much prefers the general view of the stage from there and not being distracted by the waiters passing by and blocking your view and the noise of the plates in the lower floor... So it really depends on the place and on your own preferences.

In any case, food at these places is usually overpriced and not that great. Flamenco + dinner is something a local would never choose, and too many touristy places do assume that foreing people have no taste so they will eat anything ;-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Hola!

Thank you guys a lot for all the input. Unfortunately, it appears time will not allow us to go to southern spain this time around (seville, gibralter etc) because i am trying to make the bullfights in madrid on sunday evening and have to be back in barcelona by the next night to fly back to amsterdam early tuesday =[ we are still making it to barcelona, aragon/huesta, madrid etc. so it seems i will have to catch a flamenco show around those areas.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

I do not want to sound judgemental, but I hope you know what you're going to see on a bullfight

(Sorry, I had to say this, I'm too partial about that, I respect those going, but too many tourists do not really know what they are supporting)

OK, back to the much nicer issue of Flamenco. If you're only visiting Northern Spain, choose a good venue in Madrid or Barcelona, shows there will be touristy but they can be good. Anyhere else out of Andalusia, most likely shows will be just touristy.

Maybe you can open new questions in each specific forum to get more reccomendations.

I doubt there is any flamenco place in Zaragoza, at least there were none when I used to live there (many years, so feel free to ask). Huesca is a pleasant small town. Aragón in general is a wonderful area, culturally very different to Andalusia, Madrid or Catalonia. Yours can be a very interesting trip, especially if you try to forget about Spanish stereotypes :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

I'm with Belsaita (hola !). I saw bullfighting when I was 11yo and it was my first and last. No further comment.

I DO enjoy flamenco and have seen performances in many different venues. I prefer the smaller and more intimate ones (no buffet dinners please). In Barcelona, I like El Tablao de Carmen (upstairs in the gallery).

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d244…

Sometimes there are special performances in town that might be good. Maybe the Gran Gala de Flamenco? This one is in July but I'll give a link as an example.

ticketmaster.es/nav/…index.html

PS. in Seville, I wanted to go to Memorias but went to Los Gallos instead. The upstairs has comfy sofas (better for couch potatoes and families with children) and it's next to the performers' changing rooms. They go in, as regular people, and come out, dressed to the nines!

Edited: 17 June 2013, 16:48
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Jeff:

Read the top question in the Madrid forum about flamenco. The best dancers and singers from Andalusia go to work in Madrid because they pay better there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flamenco Dancing in Spain?

Belsaita, I sincerely thank you for your concern, but I have done my homework and have had input from many Spaniards and still very interested in going to the fights. On the other hand, I am having somewhat of a hard time finding tickets online. I understand there are basically 2 arenas (one being the major one, Las Ventas) and upon searching the schedule, so far, it seems Las Ventas is only displaying the lesser experienced fighters with the younger bulls (Novilladas i think??) - im not sure, but the real thing is on my bucket list Belsaita! lol

We are both photographers, so having a variety is ideal. We are also looking at Granada, Rock of Gibraltar etc. =]

Edited: 18 June 2013, 07:04