We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

We're going to Spain in late October. The flight home we like best, from Madrid to Detroit, lays over for an hour at Paris' Charles De Gaulle. There are later flights that lay over in Chicago or JFK, but the timing isn't as good. We really don't want to get stuck if flights are delayed/cancelled (need to be at work the next day). I realize that this is probably a question that requires a crystal ball, but does anyone have thoughts about whether you are likely to experience more cancellations/delays at Charles De Gaulle vs. at a US airport?

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

Last year comming back from Greece with volcano dust in the atmosphere ,found my self and grandson at the mercy of CDG. I will never use that airport again. They are in the process of remodeling and the signage is little or none and mostly in french. The airport closes at I believe Midnight so an overnite at the Hilton was $300usd. The next day was still a disaster and didn't improve. The french are not accomodating at all, and the entire airport is a nightmere to use and get around in. Give me JFK any day of the week, at least everyone speaks english and even being NYC is a paradise to deal with. Sounds like you are a on a tight schedule and I always hold with Murphys Law, if it can go wrong,it will. why push the rule of travel and use CDG, there are no options with the french!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

they haven't invented customer service in France yet and all of the stereotypical difficult French people seem to be employed at CDG -- I would not want a very short transfer at CDG

I love France but some of my least favorite moments have been at CDG

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

Michfan:

I would choose a US airport. I am not a fan of CDG, with outdated terminals.

PS: I went to the U of M at Ann Arbor.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 04:25
4. Re: Flying from Madrid to Michigan: Layover in Paris or US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:18