We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

I am spending 3 weeks in Portugal this September, and I have enough time for a 3 day side trip to fly to either Madrid or Barcelona.

I'm wondering which I should choose. I have found relatively cheap flights to either one, so that is not an issue. I am a 30 year old single gay man looking to dance and maybe find a little trouble. Any recommendations on which city to visit, and some suggestions on where to find said trouble would be much appreciated! Also, a reccommendation on affordable hotels that aren't gross would be nice as well. Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Daniel S:

I would choose Madrid because there is so much to see there. Look for a hotel near the Plaza Santa Ana, walking distance to many sights. The Chueca Barrio is where many gays congregate.

When I studied at the U of M, I went to Lansing and saw the GM plant there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Barcelona is gay friendly city www.gaybarcelona.com/home.html www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona

Near to Barcelona is the beach town of Sitges, a popular gay destination www.patroc.com/sitges www.sitgestur.cat

Barcelona airport bus to Barcelona www.aerobusbcn.com and bus Barcelona airport to Sitges www.monbus.cat

Trains between Sitges and Barcelona renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

Flights Lisbon to Barcelona www.vueling.com www.easyjet.com www.flytap.com

Edited: 27 July 2013, 08:09
Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Hmmm... These are all excellent choices. Too bad I will only have 3 days. Now I feel I have 4 choices - Madrid, Barcelona, Sitges or Ibiza.

Would you say I could just wait to book the flight on a cheap airline when I arrive in Portugal? Or would it be better to do it beforehand?

BennyMalaga - That is interesting that you were in Lansing to see the GM plant. Which year was that? The large plant is now closed :-(

Madrid, Madrid...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Haha your "little trouble" comment was great.

Both cities are gay friendly!

Anyways, Madrid being the capital, there is a bit more to see. Now in both you have a few gay bars, so to find a place to dance and find trouble shouldn't be an issue in either. I would recommend Barcelona though, night-life is better than Madrid (my opinion), and Madrid for three days is better to wake up early and visit the city! If you do chose to come to Barcelona, I can offer you this:

trip4real.com/experience/…

Good Luck!

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

Thanks for the tips! This is really becoming a difficult decision, albeit a good problem to have.

6. Re: Side Trip to Madrid or Barcelona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 07:19