We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

OH, USA
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

Would like assistance in planning our Spain trip. My husband and I have about 7 to 8 days to vacation in spain. we like to explore, have a little adventure (light climbing, riding around on scooters, anything fun really - in Italy we did private wine tours, drove vintage cars, took chair lift up mountain), experience the culture (flamenco dance, tapas, exploring to see the architecture, etc), and love sports (would love to see a football/soccer game, not sure if bull fighting is still a possibility, etc) museums are fine, so willing to do one or two but don't want this to be the main thing we do. Barcelona is somewhere that has always intrigued me, so I think I would like to make sure we spend time there. I feel like I should not miss Madrid, however worried it may be mostly about museums. looking to do 2 or 3 places given our short time. would love recommendations on what 2 or 3 places we should visit. looking to go late October. would love itinerary suggestions and comments on things to do that would fit our preferences. thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Teide National Park
Geologic Formations, Mountains, National Parks, Volcanoes
Roque Nublo
Mountains, Scenic Railroads
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,618 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

stacymole:

You can spend 4 days in Madrid (one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia). Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Then take the AVE to Barcelona. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online. Stay in Barcelona 4 days.

For Barcelona book the Sagrada Familia Church to avoid the long queue. There is a top question about this sight in the Barcelona forum. There is also a top question there about a day trip to Montserrat that may interest you.

I do not recommend bullfights. Most Americans will leave the bullring at the first sight of blood. It is not a pretty sight.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

The city of Gaudi, Barcelona www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcelona

Visit Montserrat by public transport and take the cable car up the mountain barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelon…

Trains to Girona, Figueres and Tarragona www.renfe.comnEN.viajeros/index.html

www.spain.info

Accommodation www.venere.com

nb: Bullfighting is banned in Catalonia

Edited: 10 September 2013, 08:17
cleveland, ohio...
Level Contributor
15 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

We recently spent 4 days each in Madrid and Barcelona, and enjoyed both. That said, they are very different. Madrid has more of a big city ambiance, fairly crowded, very lively long into the night. We took the train to Toledo one day, an easy day trip. Barcelona was more to my/our liking. Lively but less hectic. More laid back, with a beach (!) and of course the Gaudi architecture. Wish we'd have had time to visit ALL the Gaudi buildings.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, however. Steel Donkeys bike tours in Barcelona sound great, but we did free walking tours instead. Had a great time with Ogotours in Madrid, and RunnerBean in Barcelona. Do the walking tour on your first day, and ask the guide for recommendations of other things to do. Very helpful, plus they sometimes have discount coupons for various attractions.

Other things we learned on this trip: http://ow.ly/oJCLW

Hope you have a great time, both cities are worth at least 3-4 days.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

4 in Barcelona and 4 in Madrid. You might have time for one daytrip from each.

5. Re: Assistance Needed - planning Spain trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18