We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

Tokyo
Level Contributor
484 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

Greetings & A Happy Traveling Year!

I need help deciding how to breakdown 10 daysbetween Madrid and Barcelona (8 full days + 2 traveling…or maybe shorten by one day as yen vs euro exchange rate is not helping!). We are flying from Japan to Spain in mid-September, and can start in either city (Madrid might be slightly easier to fly in).

Every year I organise a trip for myself and my students (all aged 60 and up!). This year, we set out sights on Spain (Madrid and Barcelona). A typical Japanese tour package might in 8 days (6 full days + 2 traveling days) cover: Madrid, Cordoba, Carmona, Sevilla, Mijas, Malaga, Barcelona. Even though I am in love with photos of South Spain, I realise that it might be too much to try and add it to the trip. So, I am thinking of Madrid and Barcelona (plus, day trips to Toledo, Segovia (not sure), Montserrat/ Cava vineyards). But once I compare it to how much ground usually Japanese travellers cover, I wonder if I am putting too many days into only two areas (I hope I am not offending anyone). Just for reference, in 2013, we visited Prague (3 days) , Cesky Krumlov (1 day overnight), Salzburg (2 days and Vienna (3 days) and this itinerary was perfect. It was a lot of variety but not too fast paced. THat's what I'd like from the trip to Spain if possible.

For now (very general idea).

Day 1. Arrive in Madrid at 23.00 (can fly into Barcelona if it's better to start there).

Day 2. Madird City Tour

Day 3. Madrid Art (Prado Museum) and Retino Park

Day 3. Segovia (not sure)

Day 4. Toledo (perhaps overnight if that makes sense)

Day 5. Madrid (or Toledo) to Barcelona by AVE high speed train

Day 6. Gaudi Barcelona

Day 7. Montseratt and Cava

Day 8. Barcelona City Tour (la Boqueria market)

Day 9. Fly out of Barcelona at 12.30.

Day 10. Arrive in Tokyo

Does this make any sense? Is it a fair breakdown of days? Is adding a night at Toledo a good idea (Toledo sounds lovely especially in the evenings and after tour buses leave ;) ? Considering the jet-leg and age, should we start with Madrid?

We'll be hiring minibus transfers for city tours and day trips. THe only time we'll use public transportation is AVE to Barcelona. Which city is more walkable --Barcelona or Madrid? I am looking at hotels central areas (which would allow us to cover more ground on foot and also to give a chance to step outside of the hotel and find some nice shops, cafes, just beautiful areas to wander through) in the areas Madrid -- between the Prado museum, Royal Palace and Gran Via area. Barcelona -- Barri Gotic or of Rambla. Am I on the right track in choosing location?

The group is elderly and mostly ladies. So, shopping for souvenirs and earlier dinning options would be a bit plus!

I would greatly appreciate any comments or advice!

gracias!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Carmona
Carmona
Province of Seville, Spain
Mijas
Mijas
Costa del Sol, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Montserrat
Montserrat
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prado National Museum
Prado National Museum
46,111 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Barcelona City Tour
Barcelona City Tour
2,068 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Gran Via
Gran Via
10,136 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Burricleta S.L
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Montsant Natura
Taxis & Shuttles, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
BusPlana
Mass Transportation Systems, Taxis & Shuttles
Limusinas Zeus
Taxis & Shuttles
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

Anna:

Your schedule looks good. You can do a day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

In Madrid you can choose a hotel at the Gran Via, which is downtown. Plaza de Catalunya in Barcelona is downtown. Do not choose the rambla because it may not be safe. Has many pickpockets.

Book the Sagrada Familia Church to avoid long queues. Read about this in the top question of the Barcelona forum.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 04:57
Mentioned in this post
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Gran Via
Gran Via
10,136 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
131,781 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

There is a city between Madrid and Barcelona most visitors overlook ( maybe for the best!)

www.zaragoza.es/turismo

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

The itinerary looks fine to me, and I agree with Nurioopta about stopping in Zaragoza mid-way too. In general terms I would say it does not matter where you start.... But, WHEN in September you're travelling? There are some events in that month in Barcelona that may affect your travel plans:

- September 11: Catalonia's National Day. This year commemorates the 300 anniversary of the defeat of Barcelona's siege in 1714. This is a very significant date for us Catalans and there will be special events and probably huge political demonstrations pro-independence. This is a date you may be willing to include on your plans (it may be interesting to witness) o to avoid, as regular sightseeing will be affected and shops closed.

- Around September 24: La Merce festival, the biggest festival in town, a few days with hundreds of events for all tastes, and most of them free. In my opinion, not to be missed if you can fit it on your travel plans, but in this case I would add one day in Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
La Merce
La Merce
33 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Tokyo
Level Contributor
484 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

Thank you all so much for your answers!

BennyMalaga, thank you for the link regarding train info. I didn't realise it was explained in so much detailed! I am almost sure that we'll be taking the Highspeed train from Madrid to Barcelona since the drive is really long.

But that said, Nurioopta, Zaragoza does look really beautiful. I actually came across some phtoso before and thought it would be a nice place to see. So, if for some reason instead of taking the train, we decide to charter a minibus transfer, that would be a good place to break the journey.

belsaita, our tentative dates were indeed around the 24th. Actually arriving in Madrid on the 17th and leaving Barcleona on the 26th. I googled whether we were coming on any public holidays (or god forbid big congresses!) , but I guess I didn't do a proper search as I didn't come across La Merce Festival. Now, I am torn. I saw photos and read posts that say it's a great time to visit. And it looks wonderful, especially the castellers. But as I'll be traveling with a group of elderly people, I wonder if it might be harder to get around and more crowded during this time. I mean we need to move mostly as a group (about 15people aged 60-80).

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
La Merce
La Merce
33 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
5. Re: Best breakdown of 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona in Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:22