We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on travel to Southern Spain in February

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on travel to Southern Spain in February

Hi fellow travelers--

I live in San Francisco, CA, and am planning a last minute trip to possibly Southern Spain from having some last minute vacation time I just acquired. I am off from February 9 to 17 2014. Relatively experienced traveler but as this time off is unexpected, likely will be on my own.

After taking away flight days, though I have a total of 10 days off, I likely only have 7 days to travel/sightsee, since it will take me between Feb 9-10 to fly there taking into account time difference, and all of the 17th to fly back to be back at work on the 18th. I chose Southern Spain because I have been to Madrid and Barcelona before (Madrid twice), but never spent a lot of time in Southern Spain, though I did once visit a friend who lived in Cordoba. Also, the rest of Europe seems too cold.

It seems easiest to make my international round trip flight in and out of Madrid (though I like Barcelona better, it is further from Andalucia). I will likely spend a day or two in Madrid near the end for some night life before flying back home at the end of the 3 day President's day weekend (maybe staying in Madrid Saturday and Sunday night prior to flight back on Monday).

Any advice on itinerary? As I have seen Cordoba, I thought I'd spend most of my time in Sevilla and Grenada, with some day trips from either, seeing some white towns of Andalucia. Maybe Sunday, Monday, Tuesday night in Seville, then Thursday and Friday night in Grenada? Any favorites? Is Tangiers worth the trek?

Is it even worth coming to Europe for this brief time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on travel to Southern Spain in February

By the way, the last question being, is it even worth traveling to Spain--I know these are not the warmest months but average temps don't seem too bad--any advice on other places to travel from San Francisco that will be a relaxing get away that is somewhat low maintenance that I can plan last minute?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on travel to Southern Spain in February

medjoe:

I used to live in San Jose and San Francisco was my favorite place to visit on weekends.

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Yes, visit Seville. You need 3 days minimum there. The hotel I stay in is the Hotel Becquer, with a good location and walkable to most sights.

You can do a day trip to Ronda. Read the top question about this in the Seville forum.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

Andalusia may be cold in February, so dress warmly in layers. It is worth visiting Andalusia because of all its history and charm.

I do not think you have time for Tangiers this trip.

3. Re: Advice on travel to Southern Spain in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21