We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Hi-- Would you please help me? We're a family of four, including two kids who will be three and one next summer. I'm trying to find a vacation rental house in Spain for a week or two next summer. Ideally...

* It will be located in/walking distance to downtown area (restaurants, market, playground/grassy area, etc) so we don't need a car

* It will be an area where Castellano is the primary language (as much as I love Catalunya!)

* It's not necessarily known as a vacation spot for foreigners (I'd prefer to speak Castellano than English while we're there)

Any suggestions for a town that might work for us (I'll do digging for the actual house in that town)? I've done a gazillion searches, but I'm coming up short for an area that would work...

Thank you!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera which is in Cádiz Province. The closest areas to the beach in terms of accommodation is Novo Sancti Petri and Sancti Petri which run parallel to Playa la Barrosa, a clean 8 km sandy beach. There is a regular bus service into the town centre where you will find all the shops you need and a lovely municipal market where there are approximately 18 fishmongers, a panaderia, seller of spices, butchers and fruit and veg and deli. Regularly I am the only non-Spaniard in the market.

You are within easy public transport of Cádiz city itself, an amazing location. Sevilla, also is manageable by train as is Jerez de la Frontera, the home of sherry and the Royal Spanish Riding School, see www.realescuela.es I believe you could visit the lovely pueblo Medina Sidonia by bus. I am not so well up on public transport details as I always have a car.

I would imagine coming from NYC you would probably fly into Madrid and from there an internal flight to Jerez would be possible see www.vueling.com or to do the connection by train see www.renfe.com

For information on the many towns of Andalucía see www.andalucia.com

Castellano is the language spoken here but with an Andalucían/Cádiz accent. The locals will understand Castellano perfectly.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 18 January 2014, 14:04
NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Thank you, Lindsay! I'm doing some research now, and it looks fantastic!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

You are very welcome.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

somanystars:

You may want to go to Nerja, which has beautiful views of the sea and mountains. This is one of my favorite towns in the Costa del Sol and is a tranquil place.

Near Nerja you can visit Frigiliana, one of the most beautiful white towns in Spain.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 04:47
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

You wouldn't want to let young kids go into the sea at Nerja though, would you?

NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Thank you! I'll look into Nerja... NoSoyGuiri, why is it unsuitable for small children? I'm reading a lot about strong winds on the Costa de la Luz--is that also the case on the Costa del Sol?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Read this tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g315917-i5571-k710…

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Re the winds on the Costa de la Luz. Yes, it can be windy but more so further south than Chiclana. Tarifa and around about are some of the best surfing beaches in the world. When we have been in Chiclana during July the worst the wind does is to have me sweep some sand off of the balcony. We have never found it to be dangerous or even unpleasant. Two years ago we had one extremely windy day where the items on the washing line got a good whipping.

We holidayed in Nerja a number of years ago, apart from its other notable problem, it is not Spanish enough for my taste.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 20 January 2014, 09:49
NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Thank you all so much! I'm getting really excited to introduce my babies to a country where I have so many happy memories.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Town for Family with Toddler/Baby

Thought you might like to see this short video I got from a Facebook friend. Sitting watching it ticking off all the lovely places I have already visited and making a little list of the ones still to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Saludos. Lindsay