We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain itinerary help

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Spain itinerary help

Our family is planning a trip to Morocco and Spain. I could use a little help with our Spain itinerary. We will be entering Spain through Tangiers. Our two kids will be travelling with us.

Malaga - 4 days

Granada - 3 days

Cordoba - 2 days

Seville - 6 days

San Sebastián - 6 days (day trips to Pamplona and Bilbao)

Madrid - 7 days

Barcelona - 3 days

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain itinerary help

Itinerary pattern suggestion.

Tarifa via Algeciras to Seville Bus www.linesur.com

Seville to Granada Trains www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html or Bus www.alsa.es

Granada to Malaga bus www.alsa.es

Malaga to Cordoba Renfe train

Cordoba to Madrid Renfe train

Madrid to San Sebastian Renfe train

San Sebastian to Barcelona Renfe train or fly www.vueling.com

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain itinerary help

In what way do you need help?

You have a fine amount of time allocated to destinations compared to many, perhaps a little too much for me in some places, but I am not you.

I note you are only going to cities, is that all you are interested in?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain itinerary help

John:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c206268/Malag…

In Madrid you can do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. You can read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum. You may also want to do a day trip to Avila and another to El Escorial.

Here is some info about Malaga:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine (320 days of sunshine a year), and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them the Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. The city is very safe. The Malaga Park is a very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. The Gardens of La Concepcion are the largest tropical plant gardens in Europe. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Shopping is wonderful and most stores are walkable from downtown. Downtown has Calle Larios, Calle Nueva, and Calle Granada and surrounding streets, with many boutiques. El Corte Ingles is a large department store near downtown. Two shopping malls near downtown are the Larios Center and Vialia.

Good hotels in good locations:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – Good location near Calle Larios. The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – Good location near Calle Larios with parking. The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

4-star: Hotel NH Malaga – Good hotel with a large parking space.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro – Good hotel near Calle Larios.

2-star: Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Malaga was named by Trip Advisor as the 7th best destination in the “Traveler’s Choice 2013 – Top 10 Destinations of Spain” list.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain itinerary help

Thank you for the information. What do you think about the number of days. Our schedule in Madrid is fixed as my son is in the Real Madrid soccer camp. I think we will fly to Bilbao from Malaga. We would like to be in Pamplona for the festival.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain itinerary help

When is your trip?

With 2 children I don't think the pace is too slow. I'd consider taking time from Madrid and adding to Barcelona if it's possible with the camp.I'm a little confused about the Malaga to Bilbao comment. If your itinerary is in the correct sequence you'd have to backtrack from Sevilla back to Malaga. You should be able to purchase inexpensive flights from Sevilla to Bilbao. Then it's an easy bus ride to San Sebastian. Depending on the ages of your children you could store your luggage at the Bilbao bus station and spend the day in Bilbao before heading to Sevilla.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain itinerary help

Sorry for the confusion. I thought we'd take Noorioopta's advice and start off in Seville, ending off in Malaga. Then fly to Bilbao. My wife is not a big fan of flying so we may end up taking the train. Looks like a long haul though.

Cathy we were in Barcelona a few years back so I thought three days would be enough. Slow pace is exactly what we need with a 6 and 9 year old!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain itinerary help

I'd definately fly from Malaga to Bilbao otherwise it makes for a terribly long day. When you arrive in Bilbao it's an easy bus ride to San Sebastian. I'd be tempted to take a day from Malaga and add to San Sebastian. There are so many great daytrips from San Sebastian. But the original layout of the days works fine especially if you've visited Barcelona once before.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain itinerary help

Thanks Cathy. Appreciate your feedback. I've made some changed to the itinerary. My wife HATES plane travel. She was relieved when I told her we'd take the train to Bilbao. I thought instead of the long travel day that we'd take the AVE to Zaragoza, overnight and then make our way to Pamplona for the festival. Then another train to San Sebastian, staying for a few days. She also has a must-do of going back to Paris for a few days at the end of our trip.

21-Jun-14 Morocco - Tangier

22-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

23-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

24-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

25-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

26-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

27-Jun-14 Spain - Seville

28-Jun-14 Spain - Cordoba

29-Jun-14 Spain - Cordoba

30-Jun-14 Spain - Granada

1-Jul-14 Spain - Granada

2-Jul-14 Spain - Granada

3-Jul-14 Spain - Malaga

4-Jul-14 Spain - Malaga

5-Jul-14 Spain - Malaga

6-Jul-14 Spain - Malaga

7-Jul-14 Spain - Zaragoza

8-Jul-14 Spain - Pamplona

9-Jul-14 Spain - San Sebastian

10-Jul-14 Spain - San Sebastian

11-Jul-14 Spain - Bilbao

12-Jul-14 Spain - Logroño

13-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

14-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

15-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

16-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

17-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

18-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

19-Jul-14 Spain - Madrid

20-Jul-14 Spain - Barcelona

21-Jul-14 Spain - Barcelona

22-Jul-14 Spain - Barcelona

23-Jul-14 Spain - Barcelona

24-Jul-14 London Flight to London

25-Jul-14 Paris Train to Paris

26-Jul-14 Paris

27-Jul-14 Paris

28-Jul-14 London Train to London

29-Jul-14 Flight back to YVR

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spain itinerary help

I honestly think you need to revert a bit to your old itinerary. You originally had 6 nights in San Sebastián with daytrips to Pamplona and Bilbao. Now you have 4 1-nighters (Zaragosa, Pamplona, Logroño and Bilbao) and only 2 nights in San Sebastián. Not sure what happened.

I'm a big fan of Bilbao, Pamplona and Logroño. But with your limited time at the expense of San Sebastián and traveling with children I'd stick with the original idea of using San Sebastián as a base. This will be a lot of traveling by public transportation with 2 kids for several 1-nighters. Your itinerary was well paced so I think you need to revert to the original concept. If you're thinking of Pamplona during San Fermin them be prepared to spend a great deal,of money on a hotel at this point and I don't even know if you'll find something that will not have a minimum of more than one,night.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 08:21
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spain itinerary help

John:

I do not know how old your children are, but the crowds at Pamplona are huge during the San Fermin Festival, and I would be concerned for their safety.

You should know that during the festival, the national TV stations of Spain televise the bull runs, starting at 7:30 am to about 9 or 9:30 am. You will be able to see them better on TV than if you were there because the TV stations have people stationed at the best places.